no eggs is sometthing wrong?

rubyjane

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
WAREHAM
i have eight chickens that are about 24 weeks only two are laying.
i feed them laying pelets 16% proten and cracked corn.one has been laying for a month and a half. they have been getting the laying pelets for only one month.cracked corn for three weeks.the were free ranging all summer up untill 2 weeks ago now they are in a pen 12 by 17 feet.i also give them leftovers from the house apples,pears potatoes, carrots, boiled chicken and turkey,:(eggs.2 slices of bread about every day just wondering if i might be doing something wrong?or is it the season? it is getting cold.their coop is incelatedand has 2 windows for light.well i think i covered it all.anyone with sugestions?
idunno.gif

I'm jealous that you've got 25% productivity! I've got less than 3% productivity... 1 egg, every other day from 17 chickens (ages 25 weeks-18 months)! just that one egg... SOMETIMES... winter isn't the best egg laying season, but mid-Feb, that's when my egg numbers usually go up.

I don't beleive you are doing anything wrong. This time of year the days are shortening. It makes it hard on the chickens who are maturing to lay. They sometimes will not start to lay until the days lengthen some. It is not unusual for them to go over 30 weeks this time of year. If you want eggs sooner and feel they are mature enough you can have a light come on in their coop at 5 am and go off after daylight. This will stimulate them to lay. However realize this is a trade off. You are more likely to have laying problems,exp. prolapse etc. if you cause laying artificially. Also the hens do not have as long a laying lifespan . I choose not too use lights but others feel its worth while. Gloria Jean

Actually, I don't completely agree. 16% protein is minimal for layers, and most of the treats and corn cut that down even more. Perhaps you are including enough meat in their treats to make up for it.

I know they love bread, but it is a really empty food for them. I do give mine some now and then, but nowhere near daily.

I would try to up the protein a bit more too, but as long as you are not giving a lot of treats or cracked corn, you are not doing anything wrong. If you really wanted eggs now, you could add Xtra hours of light, but I wouldn't. It would be healthiest for your birds to let them lay at their own pace and not try to force it.

Back
Top Bottom