No eggs, losing feathers? Relax, it's molting time!

dancingbear

Songster
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
South Central KY
Ok, all you guys worrying about this. It's fall. They molt. Every year. The feathers fall out. They either stop laying or slow way down. If you give them extra protein, they get through it a little faster. When the nice new shiny feathers grow in, they'll soon be back to normal.

It's a good time to clean the coop, de-bug if needed, and get everything all nice before the cold weather really sets in.

Most breeds will lay through the winter, (after molting is over) even without extra light, unless you are far enough north that they get less than 8 hours, then you might put a light on a timer, but you really don't have to have 14 hours of light to get eggs. Maybe for maximum eggs, but ya know, nature has reasons for slowing things down in the winter.

If you have broody types like I do, you may find you actually get more eggs in the winter, because you won't have half your hens out on maternity leave all the time.

If you have young pullets just getting to laying age, they may or may not molt, egg laying may be slightly delayed. Calm down. You don't need to give up and eat them. Relax, read some books about chickens, and be patient.

Thanks! I am new and my babies aren't close to laying yet, so I was wondering about all of that!

Very helpful!
smile.png

This post couldn't have come at a more fitting time. When I first picked up my pullets I didn't ask how old they were and someone from this board estimated them to be about 9 weeks (that was back around July 18th). So we figured they would start laying the first week in October.

Well here it is halfway through October and still no eggs, so I was out there telling the "girls" that if they don't start pulling their weight soon they would befriend some dumplings.

So I'll just relax now and wait

Last edited:
Thanks for this post. I was starting to freak out a bit since my two White Delawares were looking a little rough and stopped laying!

Quote:
That's a good question, I don't know! I have 3 young cockerels right now, they've just started crowing, and they're chasing hens all over. My 2 older roos, I sold one, and the other, my favorite, Papa, (RIP) died of natural causes about a week ago. So I'm trying to decide which of these rowdy young roos gets to live. I have a hen with 5 chicks, just getting old enough to roost, I'm sure at least 2 of those will be boys.

Maybe you should start a thread just on that, somebody's bound to know.

Back
Top Bottom