No eggs this week!

savingdogs

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Southwestern Washington State
No eggs this week.

Worse, I think we have some egg eaters in my flock of chickens!

I had an issue with this that I thought we had stopped. But I've seen a couple of chickens looking around the empty nests when I've gone to collect. I've got two that are broody (and low on the totem pole) and I've seen the higher-ranking birds (that I suspect as the culprits) trying to push them out of the way see what they are sitting on (actually golf balls!).

Should I just hold out an egg and see who goes for it? Suggestions? I hate to slaughter too many but I can't have this egg-eating.

It also has gotten real hot over the last couple of days.....is it possible that they just stopped laying?

Yeah, it is true that they will stop laying when it gets really hot. You could just put an egg on the ground, and see who goes after it. You could also put a camera in you coop, so you could catch the egg eaters ( if there are any) in action!!!!!

You might go looking for a hidden nest in cooler places. I just found 10 eggs yesterday in a corner behind the feed can. I thought the big hens were not laying for the last two days since I had moved the teenagers in with them. Nope...just hiding the eggs in a cooler spot.

Back
Top Bottom