No eggs yet - is their diet ok? (App Wont let me post pics?)

capecodpeeps

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
They free range around the fenced in yard and I feed them organic layer pellets

Treats i give then sunflower seeds, scratch, meal worms, boiled eggs, greens like parsley and the ends to strawberries

6 months 10 days and no eggs

Their diet sounds fine. If you are in the Northern hemisphere, the colder weather and short days are probably a factor. I have several young hens who are 7 months old and their combs are just starting to redden. I'm still waiting too. But finally one laid her first tiny egg yesterday. After the Winter Solstice we should be good!

I personally would keep them on a grower until they are all laying, by switching to layer you have lowered the protein content, which slows down growth and the start of egg laying. I would put them back on a non medicated grower. They will continue to grow and fill out for up to two years in some breeds. I personally have put mine on an all flock ration with oyster shells on the side and it has helped them molt quicker and resume laying. My younger hens stay on starter grower until being switched to the all flock. Free range birds need more protein than confined birds as well.

You also didn't mention what breeds you have, some start later than others, so it also will depend on what you have.

Great info! I have a RIR, SLW, and a blue cochin! So if i switch them back to just grower its ok?

It will help them finish growing enough to begin laying. Your RIR, and SLW should begin around six months, cochins can take up to 8-9 months. This time of year will sometimes add a month to those start times. I don't switch off grower until they are almost a year, just put out a dish of oyster shells when they start laying they will eat it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom