no eggs yet :( what, if anything could help my ladies lay eggs sooner?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crittercuddler, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    I am wondering if feeding a higher protein ration will help my girls start laying sooner or if there is anything else I might do to help them along. They are currently on H and H non GMO non Soy grower. I'm thinking of putting them on the layer to possibly give them more nutrients since it is hot and they may be eating less. Thanks!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are they? High protein feed might help them grow a little faster and possibly mature a little more quickly, but I don't think it will speed up their laying a whole lot. Layer feed is the best thing to give them right now.

Patience is an often-used skill when raising chickens.

3. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    You want to borrow my patience pants? Because I'm sick of wearing them. I thought you shouldn't feed Layer feed until they actually start laying?

4. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    They are white leghorn, black sex link, BR, red SL. Most are 21 wks. I was told they should be laying by September. I've read that they tend to have weak eggs at first because of their diet, so I considering starting to mix some in and get them used to it. The layer also has more protein.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It would be perfectly fine to start them on layer now. Any squatting? Any suddenly redder and fleshier combs? Any egg songs? Any one checking the nest boxes? Some day soon!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Interesting, I was unfamiliar with the brand you are using, so I took a look at their information - generally speaking layer rations have a lower protein content than grower - most layer is in the 16% range and grower is 18-22% depending on brand and type --- and yet I see from their site that it is the opposite on their feeds. Wonder what their reason for the lower protein content in their grower is.............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by