No eggs yet

McClucken777

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Hartlepool, England, UK.
Hi all, hoping you can help....ive just got my first chickens, had them just over a week now but not had any eggs.....they are about 2 years old and have laid in the past but since ive had them, nothing. People have told me its because they need to settle in for a month first, some people have said its because the shed they sleep in needs a window. I understand that this time of year is when they slow down egg laying.....but I was hoping for at least one egg from 12 of them
hu.gif
my poor hens are the laughing stock of the allotments
lau.gif

Thanks

Are you noticing feathers around your yard? It is possible that they are molting which is usually something they do around this time of year.

Last edited:
Please no laughing and I know about the birds and the bees....... will a HEN mount another hen and act like they r mating?

It may take them time to adjust to their new surroundings. I have purchased adult hens in the past couple months and it took them 1-2 weeks to begin to lay. Moving can be stressful for them as can the establishment of a new pecking order. At least I've noticed this with my own girls. I've not been able to bring one home and have them immediately settle in and start to lay eggs...though that would have been nice. Give them a little time to get settled and you'll hopefully start to get some eggs from them soon.

One of my girls I picked up in the middle of her molt, it took her about 1 1/2 - 2 wks to get a first egg from her. Since that time she has been one of my most consistent layers.

Back
Top Bottom