1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs-:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hippychicken, Oct 16, 2015.

1. hippychicken

hippychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    My flock is a year and a half old. I give them 14hrs of light, free choice feed (20% protein layer grower).They also have acess to water and are free ranged but can go into a clean insulated coop anytime. However! I've only been getting 1 egg a day for 3 months.

Do you have any tips for increasing egg production? Thanks :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi there! It could be that they are going through their first molt - they are about the right age for it and it's the right time of year. Chickens don't lay when molting so that would explain it. Have you noticed more feathers than usual in the coop and run?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your chickens need a rest and to molt, they stop laying in the fall, and will resume in a few months, I like for mine to rest during winter and to put their energy into staying warm and healthy so I don't use lights, if you use them they will probably resume sooner, mine wait until February or March to start up again.

4. hippychicken

hippychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Thanks for answering- yes I thought there were more loose feathers than usual but that was in August- I didn't know that molting took so long to recover from.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They molted in August?
    How many birds of what breeds?

If they free range they may have a hidden nest....lock em up! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by