No Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chuck70, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Chuck70

Chuck70 Out Of The Brooder

I have 5 hens,2 two year old and 3 one year olds. Up until about 3 weeks ago I was doing really well getting on average 3 eggs a day sometimes 5 a day. I had 3 dozen eggs in the fridge. Well I'm sure you heard down here in South Carolina we got some biblical rain and science the rain my 2 year olds have started molting so not really sure what's going on but I'm getting like 1 every 2 days now. Anything ? I can use some advice right about not.

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    The molt will stop their laying for a while. The horrible weather may either put a stress on the others or reduce the amount of sunlight, both of which will impact laying. Molting usually lasts about a month to a month and a half, so the best thing to do for that is ride it out and give them some high-protein snacks.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It's not unusual for 2 year old hens to take anywhere from 2 to 4 months off for the fall molt. Older hens may stop laying for an even longer period of time.

However, if you have them on layer feed, it may be very helpful to switch them to a higher-protein feed. I've noticed that about half of my hens are continuing to lay eggs while molting. I attribute this to having them on an all-flock feed (20% protein), as this never happened when I had them on layer feed during the molt. They're also growing their feathers in faster.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    While they're molting, they most likely will not lay eggs. My chickens usually molt for at least three months. During that time, I don't get any eggs.

5. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I think a couple of mine have begun to molt. I've been noticing a lot of feathers laying around. One has feather loss on the front of her neck, which I think is a sign of the initial stages of molt.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. reggies mom

reggies mom New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    First year with chickens and I have 5 hens and 1 guinea. Only one chicken started laying in September and then abruptly stopped about a week ago. The other 4 have still not laid. What am I doing wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by