No eggs!

Cherrywood

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 12, 2018
My hen hasn’t layed an egg in over a week. She was producing them close to every other day and now nothing. Is there a reason why? Is this common? What can I do to help??

My hen hasn’t layed an egg in over a week. She was producing them close to every other day and now nothing. Is there a reason why? Is this common? What can I do to help??
As the others have pointed out, turkeys are seasonal layers and normally lay from spring to fall. My turkeys have also stopped laying for this year.

As the others have pointed out, turkeys are seasonal layers and normally lay from spring to fall. My turkeys have also stopped laying for this year.
Okay that sounds good I couldn’t figure out why!! I didn’t know they were seasonal

I don't keep Turkeys but it crossed my mind I never see their eggs for sale anywhere, not in farm shops where I would expect them.
So going off the above posts they do lay like chickens, I often wondered what the eggs tasted like.

I don't keep Turkeys but it crossed my mind I never see their eggs for sale anywhere, not in farm shops where I would expect them.
So going off the above posts they do lay like chickens, I often wondered what the eggs tasted like.
Turkeys are seasonal layers so their eggs would only be available in season. A day old poult is worth much more than a turkey hatching egg which is worth more than an egg for eating or cooking. The incentive is to hatch the eggs or at least sell them as hatching eggs.

Bakers who know their eggs, prize turkey eggs for use in baking. They make superb custards. Since they are a larger egg it is best to make them scrambled. The bigger an egg is, the more likely the white is going to be overcooked and tough before the yolk is sufficiently cooked unless mixed well so that all can cook at the same rate.

They taste like farm raised eggs.

Last edited:
Also. How old is your hen. Have you had her since she first started laying?
It sounds normal. Most, if not all, turkeys are NOT bred to be prolific egg layers. The numbers we are used to with chicken hens is unnatural.
Also. Turkey hens have, on average, three good years of laying. After that, they continue to lay, but the quality and quantity diminish each go round (of course this greatly depends on the breed, the diet, the environment, and health)
Oh whoops. I just scrolled up and noticed two responses that already answered my questions.
I’m so happy you have a sweet little lady! And that she’s healthy and all is good! :thumbsup
Turkeys stole my heart several years ago. :love

Back
Top Bottom