No eggs!

Our turkeys have just started laying. Got them as day olds on May 15th. They are orlop bronze and we allow them to completely free range, no fencing at all. And tips on getting them to lay in our hen house as they have taken to laying in the dense forest around our property. Big waste as today is a mild day at-5c so they freeze and explode before we can find them.

Our turkeys have just started laying. Got them as day olds on May 15th. They are orlop bronze and we allow them to completely free range, no fencing at all. And tips on getting them to lay in our hen house as they have taken to laying in the dense forest around our property. Big waste as today is a mild day at-5c so they freeze and explode before we can find them.
It is inherent in a turkey hen's nature to seek a hidden place to lay her eggs. If you have a particular place that you want a turkey hen to nest, you need to create a place that is appealing to the hen.

I have areas that are simply a wide board or pallet leaned up against a wall that provides some sense of privacy and I seed these places with a fake egg.

Turkey hens do not want their nests disturbed so if you are collecting their eggs, make sure that you don't do it when it bothers the hen and do not leave her with an empty nest. If a fake egg is not available, just mark a real turkey egg so that you can identify it and leave it as the "seed" egg.

Last edited:
It is inherent in a turkey hen's nature to seek a hidden place to lay her eggs. If you have a particular place that you want a turkey hen to nest, you need to create a place that is appealing to the hen.

I have area that are simply a wide board or pallet leaned up against a wall that provides some sense of privacy and I seed these places with a fake egg.

Turkey hens do not want their nests disturbed so if you are collecting their eggs, make sure that you don't do it when it bothers the hen and do not leave her with an empty nest. If a fake egg is not available, just mark a real turkey egg so that you can identify it and leave it as the "seed" egg.
How's this look?

Attachments

• 20181213_104730.jpg
    20181213_104730.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 3
I blew out the one egg I've been able to collect from them... going to fill it with school glue to create a "fake" egg from a real one
I am not aware of any fake turkey eggs that are commercially available. I did find ceramic goose eggs which I use to seed their nests. Another option is to get some oven bake clay and make your own turkey eggs. I did this when I was not able to find any fake guinea eggs.

Just letting it dry.... poked a hole in the top and bottom of the real egg and blew out the insides (like you would when painting eggs for easter) and fillingbit back up with school glue and rice (I would use sand but everythibgbus frozen) so the shell stays stable ☺ fake egg here we go!!!

Attachments

• 15447316034641463042747.jpg
    15447316034641463042747.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1
Col1948....your NOT going to find anyone selling turkey eggs to eat. Last year had a lengthy convo with the food editor for the Wall Street Journal. Apparently all the "top" chefs were trying to have turkey eggs on their Thanksgiving menus. Each one he talked too would not divulge their egg sources. It was a closely held secret. As R2elk stated....there is more money in selling hatching eggs, poults, or even holiday birds. There is a limited egg supply since they are seasonal layers. I dont have a tom. My eggs are not fertile. I sell my extra to a baker for a crazy stupid price. And she's always bugging me for more. Problem is...I like eating them!

Just letting it dry.... poked a hole in the top and bottom of the real egg and blew out the insides (like you would when painting eggs for easter) and fillingbit back up with school glue and rice (I would use sand but everythibgbus frozen) so the shell stays stable ☺ fake egg here we go!!!
Update on my "fake" egg... I put it in the coop where I wanted my turkey to nest... the chickens and turkeys pecked at it until all that was left was the perfect egg shaped ball of glue lol... back to the drawing board!

Back
Top Bottom