No Eggs !!!!

GrayChickens

Songster
Nov 22, 2019
:hitMy hens have been doing "the squat" for about 3 weeks. Still no eggs. It's winter season but living in the south it's not cold. There combs are huge! And red. Why no eggs! Are they really going to make me wait until spring (or are they just hidding eggs from me....)

From my knowledge oddly enough temperature doesn't affect the egg production it's the lack of daylight. I'm only getting four - 8 from my 22. Last year I went through at least a week and a half of no eggs at all and that's brutal. The days are now starting to get longer so hopefully in a few weeks we can all start enjoying some eggs again

From my knowledge oddly enough temperature doesn't affect the egg production it's the lack of daylight. I'm only getting four - 8 from my 22. Last year I went through at least a week and a half of no eggs at all and that's brutal. The days are now starting to get longer so hopefully in a few weeks we can all start enjoying some eggs again
Thanks 4 the insite! :)

I thought for the longest time it had to do with weather and oh that. After enough research realized I was wrong though I don't know always admit it. LOL. I hope you're enjoying your eggs soon

I was feeding a mix from a fellow in a neighboring town and wasn’t getting any eggs until I switched to a purposefully blended feed for layers. The chicks were born toward the end of May. They were getting a few hours of free ranging every day also. My Welsummers, and New Hampshire Reds didn’t start laying until I switched feed in October. I’m still waiting for the Ameraucanas to start laying.

Time for a butt check....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I'am having a similar experience with out Easter Eggers. We stopped getting any eggs back in September when their molt began and have not had a single egg since.
The girls are all just over a year old and seem very happy and healthy (they are out frolicking in the yard as we speak). I expected egg production to drop off in the winter but expected to get at least one every few days...is it really that common to have all 3 chickens just stop laying entirely during the winter? I knew the 14-15 hours of day light rule but always understood it was cumulative...like 8 hours today and 8 hours tomorrow produce one egg. Am I way off base?
Right now I have been telling myself not to be concerned because everyone seems happy and health, should I be though?

is it really that common to have all 3 chickens just stop laying entirely during the winter?
Yes.

I knew the 14-15 hours of day light rule but always understood it was cumulative...like 8 hours today and 8 hours tomorrow produce one egg. Am I way off base?
Yes.
It's not cumulative.

Although weather typically does not cause egg production to stop it can in extreme heat. Last year in North Texas we had very high temps and humidity for about a month. Several people I know had there hens pretty much stop laying. I have a cheap window unit I put in from Home Depot. $200.00. Little toshiba unit even has WiFi connection if your WiFi reaches. Programmed to run from 3-7. Our ladies loved the break from the heat. No loss in their egg laying. Our coop is 8x8 for 16 happy little girls.

Back
Top Bottom