No Eggs

CTsChicks

Hatching
Oct 5, 2021
NYC
I had 6 chicken about 8 months old that were laying eggs daily. I added 5 new chickens slowly and the are about 4 months old. With that, 5 of my 6 chickens stopped laying eggs. It’s been 3-4 weeks. How long does this go and any advice.

Could just be the time of year. Shorter daylight hours usually mean fewer eggs. I was getting 12-14 eggs a day week mid-summer. I am now getting three or four eggs a day.

Some people add supplemental light during the winter, but I let my girls take a natural break. Hens have the potential to lay only a finite number of eggs. If they lay all year, they won't lay for as many years before they've spent all they've got.

Hens have the potential to lay only a finite number of eggs. If they lay all year, they won't lay for as many years before they've spent all they've got.
They would never 'run out of eggs',
but non stop laying can degrade their health enough to stop laying.

I had 6 chicken about 8 months old that were laying eggs daily. I added 5 new chickens slowly and the are about 4 months old. With that, 5 of my 6 chickens stopped laying eggs. It’s been 3-4 weeks. How long does this go and any advice.
Do you free range?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
How exactly did you introduce "slowly"?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @CTsChicks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1633517306488.png

I live in NYC. I have a coop with a run about 8’ by 4’ with a room inside 4’by 4’ and attached 3 nesting boxes. The run opens into a fenced space about 20’by20’. My neighbors are close so can’t let them free range.
I added younger chicken, had them fenced in the coop for about 2 weeks then let them out and they looked ok. Still seems ok. But my older 8month old chickens that had just started laying at about 6months stopped laying.

Back
Top Bottom