no eggs

My Golden Laced Wyandotte stopped laying for 3 weeks and now she only gives an egg a few times a week. She is a very persnickety type of chicken. The 5 other pullets have never gone through this.

Quote:
It is, at least a relief, to know you aint the only one with a chicken on strike. I go into the coop at just watch her for any signs of an egg, I never had this to happen before so I was worried. Last night, I got stuck in there cause the string which pulls the latch open come un done on the inside. I was just in there screaming for my husband (he's deaf) for about 20 minutes. I was close to tears, had no cell phone and all the chickens were just looking at me strangely. He finally decided to walk to the house from his shop and heard me. Wonder how long it would have taken him to realize I was missing. He fixed the string.

Whaaaaat? You don't have one of those nanny-cams in your coop???
barnie.gif

I do have a security camera in there but we unplugged it to put the lights up when she stopped laying. Wouldn't have mattered anyway, he wasn't watching it. Be assured that it wont happen again. = )

Yea, me too. I can get claustrophobic sometimes, especially when I am screaming and nobody comes. When I did go in yesterday, I had my cell phone, just in case. Still no eggs though. Even if she was thinking of laying, my screams probably terrorized her! LOL

how many hours of light are they getting per day? i believe a chicken needs 14 per day to make an egg?

since the days got shorter all mine have also quit, ive now hung a light in the coop for that bit extra time...and 2 hens are back to laying (out of 40...ouch! but better than none!)

I did hang a light, its only been 3 days so we will see. I do believe though that these exotic birds, which have been bred out are a much delicate breed than most. Kinda like pedigree dogs. A yard dog will go in heat, breed with anything, and go have about 13 puppies and you wont even know. A pedigree dog, (like some yorkies I had) heat was unpredictable, had to assist breeding, had to assist birthing (almost needed a c-section) and had to watch over puppies. Just saying

The last of my 3 girls of laying age only started laying after I put a timed light in the coop.

My daughter actually LOCKED me in the coop by accident one early morning a few weeks ago. Just out of habit. Wife did not find me until they were leaving to take daughter to the bus stop. Thought I had already left for work an hour earlier. There I was, sitting on a milk crate in my undershorts and boots, with a hen perched on each knee, locked in the coop. My wife said I made for a fairly pitiful rooster. Her humor was completely lost on me.

Back
Top Bottom