No eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marenategoodman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. marenategoodman

marenategoodman New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    I have 2 buff orphingtons. 1 went broody and hatched three chicks. As soon as the one hen went broody, the other stopped laying. They each layed one a day for about a year. Right around the same time as the hen went broody we got two new chicks from the farm store. They have a couple more months before they start laying. So now I have seven, and none laying. How can I get my buff's to start laying again? They also hoard the chick start from the younger hens. They don't really eat the pellets, they eat the chick start. Help!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, unless you can separate them, it's pretty impossible for you to keep the older hens from eating the younger pullet's food. You can buy a brand of food called Purina Flock Raiser, that is good for all ages though.

Broody hens just don't lay. That's something you really can't change. You could always find a breed that isn't broody like the the golden buff. They're a hybrid chicken often called cinnamon queen, or amber link, or golden comet.....They are great layers and rarely go broody. I have several and they have never gone broody. Great little layers.

What I like to do is, I sell the hens I no longer want so that I can get more. Of course, you have a small flock and may be attached, so this may not be an option to you.....

Good luck!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by