1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    My 7 month old chickens went from laying eggs to no eggs over the last couple weeks. I treated them for vent gleet because some of them were having big nasty messes in the coops me yucky bottoms and I had a suspicion that our nipple watering system was not being used by them. We have fixed out watering system and been giving them electrolytes and probiotics. They no longer have messes in their coop, however, they also no longer lay eggs! I'm getting frustrated because they all act fine, no lethargy, eating well, drinking great, flying around and acting normal. They free range during the day for a few hours, I thought maybe they were laying eggs in our yard, but I have searched everywhere for a nest with no luck..... Is this just a phase? Do chickens just stop laying this young or do they still need more recovery time? Any advise appreciated!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They should be laying like gangbusters.
    What breed?
    What are you feeding(total intake)?
    Could be worms.
    How is their respiration and the ventilation of the building?
    eta
    Do you know the cause of the vent gleet and what was the treatment?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    I feed them layer mixed with a small amount of scratch grain. They are not going through a ton of feed right now and I attributed that to the fact that when they free range they are eating like crazy. I was told vent gleet can be caused by dehydration and I was suspicious that the watering system we had for them was not working like it should. Treated with electrolytes and probiotics. If they have worms would I find worms in their poop? What type of treatment do you use for worms? We do not have a vet where I live, they fly in once a month or so. We have 16 chickens - buff orps, barred rocks, a nh red, a buff rock, a partridge rock, light brahmas, a Columbian wyandotte, and two silkies. The ventilation is very good in their coop, respiration is completely fine. They seem totally fine. So either I treated the problem and their still recovering, or I missed something and haven't figured it out yet... but I've masked the problem with treatment..?? I'm stumped. My friend had 12 chickens, a mix of the same breeds and they are laying like mine were..... So frustrating!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only suggestion I can give is to not mix the scratch with the feed. Scratch is supposed to be 'scratched' for. I would let them fill their crops with only the layer feed in the morning and wait until just before dusk to throw out a handful of scratch.
    If they're seemingly healthy, young layers, mid summer free ranging, I would almost bet there is one or more secret nests.
    I would stay out with them a few hours and find where they go lay.
    You won't see the worms unless they're a larger species and overly laden with them.
    Some species are microscopic and will only expel eggs which are microscopic.
    Worms are more often a problem in warm moist climates. I wouldn't expect a big issue in AK but who am I to say.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thank you for the input! I will separate their scratch from their feed. We are in a rainforest, so it's cool and damp here... So I think worms could be an issue. But I'm not convinced that could be it. I think I need to follow them to be sure they aren't laying outside! ;) thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by