no eggs

myfarm4579

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
I got my 2 red sex links and 3blacksexlinks at the same time this past April. Since early fall the 2reds are the only ones laying.is it because of the decreased amount of daylight?

First year pullets don't usually molt their first fall....maybe a soft molt, getting the rest of their adult feather.

Sometimes first year layers will lay all winter without supplemental lighting, sometimes they won't.
Older layers need 14-16 hours of light to lay regularly thru winter. Last winter I used a 40 watt incandescent light(this year I am using a CFL) that comes on early in the morning to provide 14-15 hours of light and they go to roost with the natural sundown. Last year I started the lighting increase a bit late(mid October), the light should be increased slowly, and the pullets didn't start laying until late December. Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting. Some folks think that using lighting shortens the years a hen will lay, I don't agree with that theory but I also plan to cull my older hens for soup at about 3 years old.

Back
Top Bottom