No Farms No Food

Quote:
Neither of our boys is farming with us since our operation can't support 3 families but we're trying to figure out a way to change that. Their kids tho are getting very familiar with how farm life works tho since I babysit some of them on an almost daily basis. This is picture of what Grandma's (me)grain truck cab looked like last fall during soybean harvest when I was hauling beans to the elevator.

092208_162300.jpg

Last edited:
People think if they buy thier food from walmart, that it didnt come from a farm.
hmm.png

Farmers have it easy? Goverment money? HAHA, thats a complete joke. Thats like buying somthing for $500 and the goverment giving you $5 to help out. Yeah I can see how that makes it so much easier.
wink.png

Quote:
Neither of our boys is farming with us since our operation can't support 3 families but we're trying to figure out a way to change that. Their kids tho are getting very familiar with how farm life works tho since I babysit some of them on an almost daily basis. This is picture of what Grandma's grain truck cab looked like last fall during soybean harvest when I was hauling beans to the elevator.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/Kansaskaty/092208_162300.jpg

That's great Katy! My boys love to help on DW's grandpa's ranch. They ride in the tractor and when I grain they drag the empty 5 gallon buckets back to the shed (throw a tantrum if I get in a hurry and do it myself). I am so proud of my 4 yo who will get up and get his clothes and coat on and muck boots in the morning and go let the chickens out and gather eggs.
love.gif

I was raised in a city. My family thinks I'm strange for having animals. This is a new development in my life (last 5 years) but I jumped right into it. I am glad to have a place to raise my boys to teach them the values of work and self-sufficiency. I'd rather raise cowboys than gangsters.

Quote:
We're full time farmer/ranchers. There were many years in the past we would have qualified for food stamps.....but I never applied for them. Made do with our garden and meat in the freezer and went with out a lot of things. Something is wrong with the system when the people growing the food can't afford to go shopping at the grocery store.

Quote:
Thanks Brian. Having "been there, done that" on both of those, the choice was clear to me on how I wanted my kids raised when they came along.

My parents banished me to Idaho from the city when I was 16. I've never looked back.
smile.png
Marrying DW and moving onto the family ranch for a few years only intensified my lifestyle change.

Katy This is picture of what Grandma's (me)grain truck cab looked like last fall during soybean harvest when I was hauling beans to the elevator.

[url :

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/Kansaskaty/092208_162300.jpg[/URL]

\\

Aww, they are sweet, Katy!!! I hope you can swing at least one son coming back! My DH's family didn't give him the opportunity- same reason as you are struggling with, but we found our own farm and seem to be making it work. I'm glad you can share it with the grandkids- my grandparents did with me too, made me a well rounded, animal loving, humble and "realistic" person!!​

Thanks for posting the link!
thumbsup.gif
I just ordered some for us, too. We are just getting started in homesteading and small farming, but our kids are well aware of where their food comes from. The boys (8 & 9) have already given their input on chicken breeds for this year. They made good choices and they have basically chosen good meat and egg layers. No ornamentals. If they are pretty, it's just a bonus. I think that is great. They helped DH process deer this year. It was a big learning experience for them, but they enjoyed seeing where the nice pretty white packages of meat really come from. We've been growing fruits and veggies for a while, now. They really love it. They have a big say in what we plant. They enjoy helping me put up the year's harvest, too. It is very fulfilling to see the kids appreciate the hard work we put into growing our own food. My kids would much rather support local farms and buy things there, than Wal-Mart.

Shelly

There have been many times I wish it were possible to hold all ag products off the market for a year. Then everyone would realize where their food comes from and that they do need farmers and ranchers. When all us little guys are gone and big business is running the show they'll be able to hold products off the market to get a better price.

Back
Top Bottom