No Farms No Food

I forgot to add that my breeding pen of Buff Orps actually belongs to my 4 yo. I got them for him for his birthday. He picked them. Eventually, I want to have the money from them go into an account for him. This isn't something I just give him, he earns it by helping with the chickens in all the way he can at his age- collecting eggs, checking feed and waterers, etc.

I couldn't resist posting a pic of one of my little cowboys:
anthonywithgoats1.jpg

Quote:
\\

Aww, they are sweet, Katy!!! I hope you can swing at least one son coming back! My DH's family didn't give him the opportunity- same reason as you are struggling with, but we found our own farm and seem to be making it work. I'm glad you can share it with the grandkids- my grandparents did with me too, made me a well rounded, animal loving, humble and "realistic" person!!

I hope so too. They still show up to help on a regular basis. When they were teenagers they couldn't wait to escape the work and now they can't wait to come back.

Katy, Im with you there, we hold our products for a year, then Im sure people and the goverment would have a change of heart about how important farmers are.
sred, glad to see youre raising your kids right.
big_smile.png
\\
I was born and raised on a farm, and still live on the family farm today. We have a job outside of farming too, but you all know thats just like having 2 full time jobs. I wouldnt trade the farm life for any other way of life. Farming is just in my blood.
ETA: I love that pic Buster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered 6.

I used to be a full time 5th generation farmer.

Now I consider myself a hobby farmer.

Can't get that farming out of my blood.....and I never want to.

my son will one day inherit my dads farm and be 5th generation. Ive been looking for this type of sticker for a long time, thanks for sharing.

Ive only got 2 acres but Im the only one of my siblings with dirt in my blood, my son has it too. Over the next several years I plan to make the most of the land I have.

Last edited:
Quote:
We're full time farmer/ranchers. There were many years in the past we would have qualified for food stamps.....but I never applied for them. Made do with our garden and meat in the freezer and went with out a lot of things. Something is wrong with the system when the people growing the food can't afford to go shopping at the grocery store.

Bravo!!!! as the wife of a UK farmer..I applaud you..it is imperative the we educate every nation that food starts with the FARMER!!! and not not the supermarkets...we too have had exceptionally hard times over the years and still today kids in schools don't know where their food really comes from........could really get on my soapbox.....I even rant in the aisles of Asda (Walmart UK)..about their importing Argentinian beef etc....oh oh got to stop!!!! or be censored!

Back
Top Bottom