NO FRESH T-GIVING TURKEY!! Anyone in central NC have one?

Wolfpacker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Raleigh
Does anyone know if there's a problem with delivering fresh turkeys this year? We paid a deposit for one at the Raleigh Farmer's Market weeks ago and my wife went to the vendor's website to find out how to pick it up and this is what she found:

2007 TURKEY DISASTER!
For the first time ever (and LAST time ever) we contracted a farmer to grow our turkeys for us to fulfill our orders for 2007 Thanksgiving and Christmas . THAT farmer JUST contacted us November 5th just before 8pm to inform us that the Turkeys are NOT going to be processed for Thanksgiving because they are too small.
Which means we will not be able to fulfill ANY of the near 100 orders we have for Turkeys.

We contacted all the farmers that we know of, as well as processors that process for small farms and tried to locate fresh, TRUE free range or pasture raised turkeys and nobody has any to spare.

I finally DID contact Whole Foods.., and where it may not be as local as we would like (they are from Pennsylvania) and not our definition of Free Range (they ARE USDA Free Range) - at least they ARE offering Farm Grown, Fresh, Free Range Turkeys and they are only $1.99 a lb. BUT MUST BE ORDERED PRIOR TO WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 14.., they will be available for pick up Tuesday or Wednesday Fresh - right before Thanksgiving.

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL WHOLE FOODS Store to get yours ordered!
MORAL of this Story: If you want something done right.., do it yourself. Early 2008 we will be back in FULL Poultry Operations.., again.., all humanely raised BY US, grown on OUR pastures.., chickens, cornish hens, heritage breeds.., and perhaps most important.., we will have plenty of fat, happy Thanksgiving 2008 Turkeys!!!​

Last edited:
Oh Wolfpacker... are you all able to get your deposit back? What are you going to do? That just sucks! "I agree with their comment though about if you want something done right do it yourself"... I am just currious though why they didnt in the first place! As for a problem, I can not help you there... except to say that they are having problems in the grocery stores too!!! We intended on having one of our own turkeys for Thanksgiving this year... and well... I think we need to be alot less caring and friendly with them if that is what we want to do LOL.... maybe next year. Good Luck.

I'm hoping there are enough people in my area who post here that someone can get us a turkey.

Otherwise it's back to Butterball! :thun

LOL sorry wolf... I had to resort to Butterball this year too LOL and finding one was a chore!!!!.... DH wont eat anything else unless it is home raised... and well, not going there this year like I said. I really do wish I could help you out!!!!! But we only have 3 toms and one hen. I think that was a major reason for our decission... getting more nest year!!! Good Luck on your search!!!!!!!! I do hope you are able to find one!!! Hey wait, I just remembered I know of someone who raises turkeys, not sure where they are located... if I can remember who it is (they are on here).... I will send them your way!!!!!!

Hi We did our own turkey this year raised her ourselves and dh just did the deed yesterday dressed out at 26 pounds. Not bad for a turkey less than 6 months old. However when we were in the feed store this past weekend they had flyers on the wall of locals selling fresh turkeys maybe you could sheck some of your local feed stores they might know of someone Hope this helps Micki

Back
Top Bottom