No fur or feathers around vent. Pasty butt

jploria116

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
I have a Maran chick who has had pasty butt since we first brought her home, which was a week ago. I’ve been cleaning it by dabbing with a warm wet paper towel and then dabbing dry. I also will place Vaseline around the vent before placing her back in the brooder. She eats and drinks and has normal poops, however every few days there’s build up on her.

I’ve noticed that it’s very bare back there compared to the other chicks. She’s the only maran I have so I can only compare her to my other chicks, who all have fur around there vents.

Could she be picking her own fur out and making it bare or maybe the others pecking her fur out? It’s not red or irritated, just bare or bald in that area.

My brooder has a heat plate and she’s housed with a blue Plymouth, Rhode Island Red, 2 Easter eggers, and 2 buff orpingtons. Any ideas what to do. I’m dosing electrolytes with vitamins in their water. Was going to dry apple cider vinegar next? They’re fed manapro medicated chick crumbles.

Attachments

• 9248B59E-4962-43E9-86BF-528448E72B0D.jpeg
    9248B59E-4962-43E9-86BF-528448E72B0D.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 45
:pop I have a single hatch Marans chick that started with Curly Toe Paralysis and doing alot better but today I noticed it's down under the vent was messed. So cleaning (warm water) noticed there's no down directly under the vent. I know exactly what you're talking about. No clue about the "bald" spot but the messy down is probably due to the cecal getting "caught" but the puffy down.

What are you using for warmth? Have you checked the temp. It's possible also the feed, is it what it was eating? Could also be stress from being the change.

I have treated messy butts with ACV in the water, make use it's not the diluted, having the "mother". IMO doing either other but not the electrolytes/vitamin + ACV. Like some grown chickens, there are messy poopers. In the adults I clip the puffy feathering under their vent, looks odd but helps.

:pop I have a single hatch Marans chick that started with Curly Toe Paralysis and doing alot better but today I noticed it's down under the vent was messed. So cleaning (warm water) noticed there's no down directly under the vent. I know exactly what you're talking about. No clue about the "bald" spot but the messy down is probably due to the cecal getting "caught" but the puffy down.

What are you using for warmth? Have you checked the temp. It's possible also the feed, is it what it was eating? Could also be stress from being the change.

I have treated messy butts with ACV in the water, make use it's not the diluted, having the "mother". IMO doing either other but not the electrolytes/vitamin + ACV. Like some grown chickens, there are messy poopers. In the adults I clip the puffy feathering under their vent, looks odd but helps.
I have a heat plate. Raised higher on one side since my chicks vary in sizes. I feed manapro crumbles (medicated). The are being brooded inside in my basement. The room temp is around 60-65. It’s always warm in the brooder and nice and toasty under the plate. They’re all eating and drinking normally but the maran is the only one who has an exposed vent. All the other chicks have fuzzy vents that you can’t even see when u pick them up.

Here’s a picture of my brooder.

Attachments

• 54E7DDAD-E0D0-474B-9456-5A7D56102019.jpeg
    54E7DDAD-E0D0-474B-9456-5A7D56102019.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 19
Picture of the "bare butt"
Have you seen others pecking at its butt? It happens as the dried poop attract the attention and like curious kids, they have to touch.

Attachments

• AB165480-53B4-414A-832F-EF01DA826422.jpeg
    AB165480-53B4-414A-832F-EF01DA826422.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 21
  • E8094E9A-262C-4BB0-B6D3-9846E9F4F98A.jpeg
    E8094E9A-262C-4BB0-B6D3-9846E9F4F98A.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 23
I'm beginning to think it's the breed ... Noticed the same with this Marans chick & it's got the same "bald" under the vent and it's dark colored although the chick is yellow (probably a splash). Thought it odd but as long as it's eating/drinking/pooping, I'm not concerned.

Attachments

• 0327 Bald butt.jpg
    0327 Bald butt.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 20
Yeah she eats and drinks. I added ACV to the water today. Had one other chick with poop stuck to her but not bad. Do they grow out of this?

Back
Top Bottom