No good deed goes unpunished…

Please call the state extension and they will track down the source of the birds. You did absolutely NOTHING wrong. I was thinking of adopting some birds myself and I know that there is a charge for them plus the cost of transportation. A previous poster is right in stating that this could and probably would, if it hasn't already, happened to someone else. Let us know how it turns out. We care. You have a big heart and unfortunately things didn't work out...for now.
hit.gif

Well, this is what I heard back from the State vet:

The scenario that you describe certainly could be the result of the fact that your newest additions are carriers of some disease-causing organism. The NH Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (NHVDL) at UNH in Durham provides necropsy and diagnostic services for backyard poultry flocks such as yours. The basic cost is $35 though if a large number of tests are run, the total cost could be as high as $75. In a case with no clinically ill birds, the chances of isolating an organism may be diminished though I could not answer by how much. If you wish to find a causative organism, your best option may be to have a single bird sacrificed for testing, since introducing new birds in the future without knowing your risk may lead to a greater loss. Unfortunately, you would also not know which vaccinations to request in response to your farm's specific risks. The NHVDL telephone number is 603-862-2726 if you are interested in that option.

This office provides live animal blood testing for avian influenza and several species of Mycoplasma and Salmonella for $25 plus roundtrip mileage - this covers up to 50 birds. We can schedule an inspector to come to your farm if this option would be preferable for you.

Since the flock is almost 4 years old, I think I may just cull this fall, sanatize the coop & start over in the spring...
sad.png
I'm not looking forward to doing it & having a quiet coop over the winter, but I'll try to focus on looking forward to having new peeps. Lesson learned...never again will I bring anything but hatching eggs or hatchery chicks into my coop!

Last edited:
Like you I was thinking of adopting chickens that needed a home. There's an adoption fee, a screening process and the cost of getting them home. You tried to do a kind thing by providing a home by providing for needy birds. I'm sorry that it ended up this way. In no way was this your fault. Let us know what happens with the state vet because you can't be the only one losing their stock.

Oh, I am so sorry this happened. It sure sounds like you did everything right and took all precautions. I can't help you with what might have been the cause, but I can sure sympathize with your pain. I am glad you found this site, which by now you realize is filled with experienced, knowledable and caring folks. Glad you are here. So sorry for your losses.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom