No idea on breed OR gender

fierce_logic

Hatching
Apr 24, 2023
Looking for help identifying breed and gender of white and dark chickens pictured. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    876.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 5
How old?
Cockerel easter egger
oh gosh… i’d say we got them in early march from the local feed store, not even sure how old they would’ve been then but here is a picture from when we first got them. I though EEs had green-ish feet though?

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpeg
    IMG_1004.jpeg
    790.1 KB · Views: 6
oh gosh… i’d say we got them in early march from the local feed store, not even sure how old they would’ve been then but here is a picture from when we first got them. I though EEs had green-ish feet though?
Usually, but sometimes they don't. He has a beard, which coming from the tsc means ee 98% of the time.

Usually, but sometimes they don't. He has a beard, which coming from the tsc means ee 98% of the time.
i should also clarify that some of these came from the local feed store - who suggested they were all female (pullets?) while others came from a local farm - who made no guarantees of gender… honestly, I’m not sure which the white ones originated as my husband picked them up

I though EEs had green-ish feet though?
Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. Easter Egger just means the females are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, and the chicken does not belong to any specific pure breed.

Many EEs look like wanna-be Ameraucanas, just not quite the right feather color or foot color or similar points. But some others look very different.

does the beard generally mean roo?
Beard in chickens has nothing to do with gender. A few breeds have it, and many other breeds do not. That is part of why he "looks like" an Easter Egger: beards are common in Easter Eggers, and he's obviously wrong for the other common breeds that could have beards (wrong color for Salmon Faverolles, wrong feathers for Silkie, no crest for Polish, feather color and foot color wrong for actual Ameraucana, and so on for the other bearded breeds.)

But a big red comb on a chick of that age is a good sign that the chick is a male.

Back
Top Bottom