NO, I'm not imagining this....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknmania, Sep 2, 2008.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Our chickens know how to turn on the radio!!! We have been wondering about this for the past year or so, during which time we've gone through two or three radios, they don't last long in the barn. There is no alarm set or no way to trigger the radio to turn on by itself...just not sure how they're turning it on, whether they land on it, peck it, or what!!! Usually, if we know we are going to be away from home past sundown, we will turn on the radio and a light in the barn, to try to discourage predators til we can get back to close the barn up. Well, the other day I forgot to turn the radio and light on. When I came home shortly after dark, the chickens were all roosting, and two hens were cuddled on the shelf beside the radio, which was on. They were listening to a NASCAR talk show. After I closed up the barn I turned the radio off...as soon as I did one of the hens moved away and went to roost elsewhere. This has happened lots of other times too...usually in the morning if we are late to feed, when we come out the radio will be on. The radio (s) have been in different locations, and as I said this has happened with different radios, but the chickens have always been able to reach them. I'm thinking of setting a camera up in the barn if I ever get time!!!! They haven;t figured out the light switch yet [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    That is too funny!! You should video it, you could win $$$$ on America's Funniest Home Videos. [​IMG]

3. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Try if you will but it is darn hard to keep a NASCAR fan away from a race [​IMG]. Next thing you know they will be drinking beer and hoopin' and hollerin' "Get-er-done".

It would be interesting to see if you can capture it on video.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Haa ha ha- definately a cam or something to record what is happening, what a good chuckle. I'd love to see a pic of a chick dancing or the roo enjoying his "corn" listening to the nascar!!!!!!!!!!How cute![​IMG]

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    [​IMG] Do they stand up and flap every lap?

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If you want to know who is the one turning on nascar there is a simple test.

Line all the birds up.
    Yell "Boggity, Boggity, Boggity, Let's Go Racing!!!"

The one that takes off and turns left is the culprit.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Hmnn. Sure someone in your household isn't pranking you? Hve to admit, it would be a grand punk.

8. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    They were listening to a NASCAR talk show.

[​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    you gotta get a video!!!!...[​IMG]

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    FUNNY! [​IMG]

Back in the day... when you had to pull a knob to turn the tv on, one of our English Springer Spaniels used to turn the tv on when she was at home by herself. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by