NO, I'm not imagining this....

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Our chickens know how to turn on the radio!!! We have been wondering about this for the past year or so, during which time we've gone through two or three radios, they don't last long in the barn. There is no alarm set or no way to trigger the radio to turn on by itself...just not sure how they're turning it on, whether they land on it, peck it, or what!!! Usually, if we know we are going to be away from home past sundown, we will turn on the radio and a light in the barn, to try to discourage predators til we can get back to close the barn up. Well, the other day I forgot to turn the radio and light on. When I came home shortly after dark, the chickens were all roosting, and two hens were cuddled on the shelf beside the radio, which was on. They were listening to a NASCAR talk show. After I closed up the barn I turned the radio off...as soon as I did one of the hens moved away and went to roost elsewhere. This has happened lots of other times too...usually in the morning if we are late to feed, when we come out the radio will be on. The radio (s) have been in different locations, and as I said this has happened with different radios, but the chickens have always been able to reach them. I'm thinking of setting a camera up in the barn if I ever get time!!!! They haven;t figured out the light switch yet
big_smile.png

Try if you will but it is darn hard to keep a NASCAR fan away from a race
gig.gif
. Next thing you know they will be drinking beer and hoopin' and hollerin' "Get-er-done".

It would be interesting to see if you can capture it on video.

Haa ha ha- definately a cam or something to record what is happening, what a good chuckle. I'd love to see a pic of a chick dancing or the roo enjoying his "corn" listening to the nascar!!!!!!!!!!How cute!
lol.png

If you want to know who is the one turning on nascar there is a simple test.

Line all the birds up.
Yell "Boggity, Boggity, Boggity, Let's Go Racing!!!"

The one that takes off and turns left is the culprit.
big_smile.png

tongue2.gif

Matt

Last edited:
FUNNY!
lol.png

Back in the day... when you had to pull a knob to turn the tv on, one of our English Springer Spaniels used to turn the tv on when she was at home by herself.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom