no internal pip yet day 26?

doobietheduck

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
ireland
it’s day 26 , 2 days before doobie is due. i have candelled the air sac to see if he has internally pipped yet but he hasn’t however i do see a shadow of the duckling pressing against the membrane . maybe a delayed hatch ? unsure what i can do to help as it is still early but i really do want to prevent a late mortality

Sorry you didn't get a timely response. Some posts just end up getting buried before they're seen by someone who knows. (I had to search it. :oops:) It can take up to 38 days (muscovy) for duck eggs. Has your baby hatched yet?
thank you for replying anyways 😄 and no it hasn’t yet , it’s a pekin duck which takes 28 days until it hatches i’m just concerned about it not pipping yet :(

I candle them (all kinds) every evening. When I see internal pips, then I lock them down. If your incubation temps were running a bit low, that will slow the babies down, and unless you're running a true thermometer, it's hard to tell. I have my Incuvue thermometer adjusted around 3°. It was off by that much. Nearly all of them are considerably off. And of course the temp will vary according to where in the incubator any particular egg is. I move mine around once a day, when I candle them--I imitate the way a school volleyball team rotates its players.

You might enjoy the May hatch-a-long thread. There are lots of folks on, many very experienced. It's a great place to get any advice you might need as well as share your baby pics and stories.

I candle them (all kinds) every evening. When I see internal pips, then I lock them down. If your incubation temps were running a bit low, that will slow the babies down, and unless you're running a true thermometer, it's hard to tell. I have my Incuvue thermometer adjusted around 3°. It was off by that much. Nearly all of them are considerably off. And of course the temp will vary according to where in the incubator any particular egg is. I move mine around once a day, when I candle them--I imitate the way a school volleyball team rotates its players.

You might enjoy the May hatch-a-long thread. There are lots of folks on, many very experienced. It's a great place to get any advice you might need as well as share your baby pics and stories.
thank you so much , i appreciate it a lot and i’ll check it out :) , and yes the power went out for a day during the incubation process so maybe he’s just taking his time 😂

If you've never hatched ducks before... yes, they will definitely test your patience. And your nerve. They tend to be super, super slow. Cute, though. So worth it! :love Are you hatching just the one?

If you've never hatched ducks before... yes, they will definitely test your patience. And your nerve. They tend to be super, super slow. Cute, though. So worth it! :love Are you hatching just the one?
no i have never hatched any sort of bird before , and i’ve read that they like to take their time while hatching ughhh i wish i wasn’t so impatient 😤. and yes its just the one ,my neighbour gives us eggs from his farm to eat and i thought what would be the chances if i was able to get a fertilized egg and hatch one,i always wanted a pet duck since i was a little girl but i didn't think it would be this stressful 😭 it’s so so fascinating watching it grow every day though

I hope it doesn't drive you nuts. They can become very irritated and noisy if they discover they don't have a sister or brother... Maybe your neighbor has a duckling of similar age?
yes i’m aware i read that usually you should have 2 so they don’t feel lonely , i have a small dog leo but if he won’t be enough then we’ve already planned to adopt a baby call duck :)

Back
Top Bottom