No kernel in bumblefoot?

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Petal, one of the two 55Flower hens, has a case of bumblefoot. In 3+ years this is my first experience. In that time I’ve read about, watched multiple videos of, and asked questions about this condition. Bern and I felt comfortable with the process, set up a half bathroom for surgery, and proceeded. I towel wrapped and cradled Petal while Bern began. Nothing but blood. After awhile we switched. I cut a bit more. Blood and some stringy bits I thought of as coagulation but Bern wasn’t sure. I tried pressing from every angle but never saw anything. Tweezers inside the opening found nothing. I even got a tip of my finger in there. Nothing. We cleaned up the foot, used VetRx, bacitracin, sterile gauze, Vetwrap, and a bit of surgical tape on top. Dressing was harder than the surgery! I kinda thought her foot looked less tightly swollen on the top of her foot. 🤷‍♀️ I put her in the coop inside a dog cage with a scrambled egg.

Has anyone ever had a bumblefoot not have anything inside? Any advice?

1611514572965.jpeg

this was before surgery bottom.

1611514662016.jpeg

this was before surgery top.

1611514772754.jpeg

this is just before bandaging.

Any insight would be very welcome.

Should I try again tomorrow or just leave her bandage in place? How often should I remove the dressing? Not looking forward to redressing. Was so tricky.

I would not keep cutting into it. Try soaking in a betadine solution 20 min each day and keep up with the ointment and dressing. Some of my girls have the scabbing but minimal swelling. Unless they are not walking on the foot or it looks obviously pus filled or there is a kernel I don't worry about it. I had some years ago that had it really bad. The best thing I did on one that was minimally invasive was to use a lancet and poke holes in the scab. and around the perimeter. Then apply several swabbing of peroxide. Eventually the whole scab and kernel fell out and the skin under was healed although there was an indentation where it was.

That doesn't always work but I've done the surgery. And also taken one to the vet for a toe amputation when their surgery was not properly done.

Hope that helps.

I should add that for the hen I did the betadine soaks on. The infection eventually made its way out in a space between her toes. It was weird. Mo I drained it a couple of times and then it just healed up. I assumed the infection was deep and it just took the path of least resistance to drain out of her. I had thought she was getting another bumble but it was more like an abscess that needed to drain.

Last edited:
I would not keep cutting into it. Try soaking in a betadine solution 20 min each day and keep up with the ointment and dressing. Some of my girls have the scabbing but minimal swelling. Unless they are not walking on the foot or it looks obviously pus filled or there is a kernel I don't worry about it. I had some years ago that had it really bad. The best thing I did on one that was minimally invasive was to use a lancet and poke holes in the scab. and around the perimeter. Then apply several swabbing of peroxide. Eventually the whole scab and kernel fell out and the skin under was healed although there was an indentation where it was.

That doesn't always work but I've done the surgery. And also taken one to the vet for a toe amputation when their surgery was not properly done.

Hope that helps.

I should add that for the hen I did the betadine soaks on. The infection eventually made its way out in a space between her toes. It was weird. Mo I drained it a couple of times and then it just healed up. I assumed the infection was deep and it just took the path of least resistance to drain out of her. I had thought she was getting another bumble but it was more like an abscess that needed to drain.
Thanks for sharing your experience. When you say the infection made it’s way out via path of least resistance was this pus or a kernel? I do start out trying to just poke the spot a bit but had to open further. I feel terrible because nothing was ever found.

It was more like pus but not too runny or hard. Also if you do the betadine soak I found it was easier to put the solution in a freezer bag and put the hens foot in the bag. Then hold it closed around her leg for 20 min. The water should be really warm. I did that daily for 2 weeks.

It was more like pus but not too runny or hard. Also if you do the betadine soak I found it was easier to put the solution in a freezer bag and put the hens foot in the bag. Then hold it closed around her leg for 20 min. The water should be really warm. I did that daily for 2 weeks.
Good tip. Thank you👍🏻

I wasn’t able to take photos today of the bumblefoot. But there was no kernel yesterday right? Today on top of the foot, not on the lump swollen between two toes, but between the next two toes, there was a spot that I rubbed with my finger, it opened, I was able to take out a tinyThing. It was dark. It bled. I use tweezers a bit to get a couple little strands of something. And I rewrapped her after soaking and cleaning all that.
She’s being very sensitive with that foot today which is to be expected but I’m just surprised that some thing came out of a spot that did not seem affected yesterday. I’m wondering if it’s possible that in trying to get it out of between the first two toes did it push over and up and out between the second two toes!
I didn’t even have to cut the spot it’s simply was open and weird. The original swelling on the top was reduced a bit and the incision on the bottom was closed until I started working on the top. It did a small bit of bleeding.

C63317CE-DD86-4CF6-9612-6009E84D1E70.jpeg
C79A8462-C5BF-4258-94DD-7CF8D91B63A4.jpeg
AB482006-7D9C-4110-A4FB-CE916B0447A5.jpeg

these above were takenTuesdayJanuary 26. You can see the spot mentioned in my most previous post.

5EFCF977-D9A9-4DC1-B6E7-6350A238490D.jpeg
99A04E1F-0C75-4249-9D20-E452DBBCA210.jpeg
9FAE264A-AD93-49B8-9E77-CC663FA74199.jpeg

these were taken Thursday January 28. Not as swollen as Sunday but not much different from Tuesday.

Insights?

It looks like whatever she stepped on to cause the bumble in the first place worked its way through.
Bumbles don't always produce a cheesy core, sometimes the offending object is just worked out the opposite side especially if it can find the space between toes where there isn't much to stop it.
Just keep it clean, go easy with peroxide if you use it as it can be damaging on tissue if you overdo it.

I haven’t used peroxide. I’ve soaked daily with Epsom salts. Well, not today. It is so bitter cold I decided to pass on brining her into the house, soaking and getting her tail and belly feathers wet along with her feet. I don’t think frozen feathers will be helpful in healing. I’m just letting her rest tonight. I’ll have a look tomorrow and clean and dress it even if I can’t soak it.
Thank you for your insight. I believe you may be right. It passed through the top. I’ll continue to use bacitracin on dressings till the surgical wound heals. I just hate keeping her locked in the cage. It is in the coop so she is with the flock but it’s not the same for sure.
Again, thank you. I needed that reassurance.

Back
Top Bottom