no laying on layer pellet anyone else

jnjross

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 3, 2008
edwards, ms
I switched hens from crumbles to pellets now no eggs. ? ?
it nutrena layena?? it's happening my dad's chickens too. is this happening to anyone else, might there be something wrong with the pellets?

I doubt highly that the actually pellets have anything to do with it. I would say between the weather, daylight changes, and the food change, that they are going to go through a short period of not laying. Were the crumbles the same as you are feeding now? Same protein, same calcium?

I switched from Nutrena crumbles to the pellets and my girls didn't seem very happy. They didn't eat well and slowed down considerably on their laying, so I switched back and they went back to happy and laying well again. Luckily I bought a small bag. I smashed up the remaining pellets and mixed it with their crumbles. It may just have been the switch.
jumpy.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
Layena is a Purina brand. Is it the Nutrena layer pellets or the Purina Layena. I ask because my birds do good with Purina, but the dealer is not close, and a place just started selling Nutrena very close to us.

it's purina sorry
tongue.png
the feed store was out of crumbles so i got pellet i assumed they were the same content wise since they're both layena (blue bag) but they hate them. maybe they not eatting enough. i got to get some crumbles

I wonder if the sudden switch also had something to do with going off the lay? With both my dogs and my chickens, when possible, I try and mix a new brand of food into the old over the course of a week or so. Curious to hear everyone's experiences as I will be moving the chickies to layer pellets when the time is right... or maybe not. The crumbles tend to get dusty down at the bottom of the can (I store mine in a plastic garbage can) and I think I read somewhere that the pellets aren't as easily wasted. With 27 birds, I am hoping they like pellets and that what I read is true.

Quote:
My chickens were on grower crumbles until I got surprised with the first egg at 19 weeks - a brahma no less! I only had a little of the crumbles left, so I mixed it with the layer pellets I bought the next day. They do waste much less with the pellets and I can't see where it's made a difference. They have been on layer pellets for about 8 weeks now and I've only this week started noticing a slow down; which I am attributing the shorter days and the overcast weather, not their feed.

Back
Top Bottom