No more chickens...

Wow chicabee, that's insane. I think if I did anything extreme I would feel guilty the rest of my life. They were talking about moving but who's to say those neighbors are gonna be any better.

I would to. I was in extreme shock that they would do that (and then admit it) after the minor thing that happened between us. It escalated because I was immature and naive.

If your neighbors DO move, as soon as the new neighbors move in, go over there, take 'em some cookies or a plant. Make friends, tell them you believe in open dialogue between people who have to live next to each other, and that if there is ever anything that bothers them, to come right to you and speak out, and if it's something you can fix you'll do your best.

You say that last part in case there's something you can't fix.

If it's ever the case they are unhappy about something you cannot fix, use the most important and disarming words in our language (and hardly ever used these days):

"I'm so sorry!"

I have found these words can often diffuse a situation before it starts.

If you ever have to use them at the end of something, (maybe after you have made a boo-boo with your behavior), use them freely then as well.

People are prone to forgive, if you ask them to.

On the other hand, there are those who just wait around for something to happen so they can hang on to a hateful grudge.

We had a neighbor who we learned right away was extra sensitive, and so we opted to erect the 'invisible wall' -- we waved, she waved, we said hi, she said hi, and we don't get into a deep relationship or complain about anything. When she was selling her house we took her a goodbye gift (a framed pic of her house) and a chocolate bar.

A few days ago I saw her out there and asked how the sale was going. She said:

"I've been hoping to sell to nice people, and I think I've found a really friendly young couple for you".​

Thanks Jordan and Julie, fo sho

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom