No more coop smell

Arktos

Hatching
Apr 18, 2018
Greetings Everyone,

This is my first post so I thought I would share one of our best discoveries. We went from 12 quail to 800 birds in less than a year and my wife was complaining, (with good reason) about the smell from the coop. We lived in a residential area and she was worried about the neighbors complaining. We had about 200 birds at the time.
I researched what to do about the smell and with the manure and finally decided on getting a portapod for raising black solder fly larva. I figured it would be a way to dispose on the manure and hopefully the smell. The BSFL needed a base to start them in and they suggested used coffee grounds.
At the time we were using wood shavings to absorb the manure.
I started using coffee grounds instead of shavings to line the pans. Not only did it eliminate the odor, it reduced the number of house flies to almost nothing.
Now for the best part...the coffee grounds are FREE! That's right FREE. I went to a local coffee place (Star Bucks) and asked if I could collect their spent coffee grounds. They were delighted to get rid of them.
So now I have no more smell, an added food sources for the BSFL and quail and my wife is tickled pink because there is no more smell and she gets two star bucks each week. She picks up the spent grounds.
Now that's a win, win, win!

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first post so I thought I would share one of our best discoveries. We went from 12 quail to 800 birds in less than a year and my wife was complaining, (with good reason) about the smell from the coop. We lived in a residential area and she was worried about the neighbors complaining. We had about 200 birds at the time.
I researched what to do about the smell and with the manure and finally decided on getting a portapod for raising black solder fly larva. I figured it would be a way to dispose on the manure and hopefully the smell. The BSFL needed a base to start them in and they suggested used coffee grounds.
At the time we were using wood shavings to absorb the manure.
I started using coffee grounds instead of shavings to line the pans. Not only did it eliminate the odor, it reduced the number of house flies to almost nothing.
Now for the best part...the coffee grounds are FREE! That's right FREE. I went to a local coffee place (Star Bucks) and asked if I could collect their spent coffee grounds. They were delighted to get rid of them.
So now I have no more smell, an added food sources for the BSFL and quail and my wife is tickled pink because there is no more smell and she gets two star bucks each week. She picks up the spent grounds.
Now that's a win, win, win!
I've heard and read where coffee grounds being used and had reduced the feces smell. Thanks for posting your findings.

Back
Top Bottom