No more Easter...

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
Starting October 15th or so my slw started laying one egg a day then my Americana started laying every other day. well i have been letting them outside for 2-3 hours a day starting on Wednesday.
hit.gif
well they stopped laying for 3 days then i got one just today from my Americana. yesterday i had them out of my sight for 2 minutes and they started doing the egg song i checked everywhere they had been, I followed where they had been and checked the boxes and nothing! Why would they sike me out like that?!?!?!? Does anyone have an answer for me? I would love one! They are 8 months old!
idunno.gif

ive got two Ee girls in lock up in the coop.. till they start laying inside then they can go back out.. but I know they are laying outside and I cant find the eggs... I told them.... they have to pull their weight too.. no eggs no tree hugging... they are not happy with me at the moment you can well understand.. hahah... but hey the other girls lay in the coop then go out to play.. and I have one box their idea not mind they only use one and its identical.. but they wait in line to lay .. and go in and out of the coop checking till its their turn, funny funny,,,.

)O(
good luck and have fun with them
Pink

Check everywhere you did NOT check before...we too had this issue for a while when we first got chickens...and THEN we discovered the HIDDEN nests! We thought we were doing it right keeping them in the coop until late afternoon then letting them free range until dark - we thought we had outsmarted them...NOPE! They just learned how to suck it in somehow and before we knew it we were back down to fewer eggs every day. A couple of them even started going BACK to the coop to sing the egg song! My husband happened to be staying at home at the time and began watching them...and quickly found several hidden nests we could BARELY get to FULL of eggs!

Start looking in places you wouldn't expect that are HARD to access - for us it was the huge pipe that ran under the driveway, under the porch steps behind some poison sumac, and way out in the middle of a field we never until we watched them saw them go into - it was like they would run and hide them. My husband even asked if I was SURE people didn't call the "Easter Eggers" because they hid their own eggs, and I reminded him the leghorns hid their eggs too...so no, I don't think that is it...I think we found over 20 eggs that day! It was NUTS!

Go look again - I bet they are out there somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom