No More Straw

Straw is gone. Thin layer of shavings and then the Stall Dry. ( was surprised the amish feed store had it) We'll see how it goes.

DH and I really didn't see eye to eye on the straw. I really didn't want him to take it out and he insisted it just held too much moisture. After reading y'all replies I had to admit he was right. God I hate it when I have to ADMIT he's right.
tongue.png

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
A little something about bedding - I found that in their night pen area (where their water bowl is) with just sand, a really ugly stink started pretty quickly. Then I added some pine shavings. I realized that so much nitrogen (in the duck droppings) without enough carbon (from shavings, sawdust or straw, etc.), compounded by the lack of air (producing ammonia) between sand particles was the problem. Even scraping daily did not help because their feces soaked quickly into the sand.

I use straw out in their larger run area. Their house (no food or water in there) has shavings - currently a mix of hardwood and softwood, with some compressed sawdust pellets as well. I stir that up every morning, and add an inch or two of fresh shavings every few days.

Quote:
Same here. We use straw, and our neighbor who has a natural garden takes all our duck manure for compost. Her vegetables, along with our duck eggs are sold through the same natural and organic grocery.

Back
Top Bottom