No more twinkies

Well, it wasn't as if the company was in such great shape in any event. They filed for bankruptcy in 2004 and again in 2011 and my guess is that liquidation was just around the corner regardless of the unions. Having said that it sue seems that the union more was a useless act and probably plain dumb

Well, it wasn't as if the company was in such great shape in any event. They filed for bankruptcy in 2004 and again in 2011 and my guess is that liquidation was just around the corner regardless of the unions. Having said that it sue seems that the union more was a useless act and probably plain dumb

That just makes it worse, if that's the case. I know, on my part, if I had to choose between a minor pay cut or losing my job entirely, I'd take the pay cut. Really, I have nothing against unions as a whole (govt. support of them is a different story), but this was just stupid.

Hostess turned down a buy out of around 500 million a few years ago and now is valued at 135 million. A mexican company is considering buying hostess... not much chance for union jobs there.

Q9 you're right not a very bright move for american workers. Maybe Obama will bail out Captain Cupcake and Twinkie the Kid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Cupcake

Last edited:
Some of Hostess will probably be acquired by Grupo Bimbo and will reopen some of the plants. But there may not be a spot for the union.

pop.gif

don't be too upset. here is an article on how to make your own hostess cupcakes

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-882764?hpt=us_c1

HomemadeHostessCupcakesjpg-2296271_896_ghst.jpg
HomemadeHostessCupcakesjpg-2296271_p9.jpg

Tweet

VIEWS

RECOMMENDS

SHARES
About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

35.png

Posted November 16, 2012 by
Passionatpl8

| Follow

35x35_editors_pick.gif

Editor's Pick!
Team iReport featured this story

Assignment

35x35_assignment.gif

This iReport is part of an assignment:
Your Hostess recipes

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

By Passionatpl8 | Posted November 16, 2012 | Seattle, Washington

CNN PRODUCER NOTE Passionatpl8 says after her friend Mary made homemade Hostess cupcakes over the summer to honor her dad on Father's Day and posted it on their food blog , she felt inspired to share the recipe. "It seemed so timely to share this will all the Hostess lovers today so they are not so sad about the impending doom," she says. Though she is a lover of Hostess cupcakes, she says she almost prefers the homemade version. "The cupcake is so moist and rich and chocolate-y, but it's the marshmallow filling that really makes this delicious!" she says. "In these tough times, with so much uncertainty in the world, we find ourselves comforted by simple things like the snack foods of our childhood."
- Anika3, CNN iReport producer​
RIP Hostess Cupcakes. We'll just have to keep making our homemade version. Find the instructions on our blog:http://apassionateplate.com/homemade-hostess-cupcakes/

Ingredients
  • CUPCAKES
  • 1¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1¼ cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • FILLING
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla exrtact
  • 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
  • 1 cup marshmallow creme
  • GANACHE
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • ICING
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 1 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • ¼ tsp. vanilla

Liked some of the stuff,but with that partially hydrgenated oils I considered it a very unhealthy thing to eat.

It wasn't all Twinkies and Wonder bread. Several other brands were owned by Hostess as well. I reckon this means the Merita bakery here will be closing.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom