No Mouse Problems in the coop!

BriardChickens

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Northern Alberta
Last night when I went to check the chickens I noticed a dead mouse in the coop. It looked pecked flat, but no blood. I guess my chickens just protected their food/home but no more then that.

The mouse met the compost pile this morning.

I am quite happy about that outcome, I won't have to worry about mice getting into the chicken food.

Last night when I went to check the chickens I noticed a dead mouse in the coop. It looked pecked flat, but no blood. I guess my chickens just protected their food/home but no more then that.

The mouse met the compost pile this morning.

I am quite happy about that outcome, I won't have to worry about mice getting into the chicken food.

I heard that chickens will eat mice... ???

I too have heard that they will eat dead mice... there was a secret hope that I wouldn't have to remove it myself this morning!
Well on a brighter side…maybe they were too full after eating all of the others, so just left you one to take out?
big_smile.png

If that is the case the chickens will be moving into the house when our mouse problem comes back!
Don't get mice in our coop, they cannot breach 1/2 # hardware cloth. But we do get them in our garage - it is large and under my entire house first floor. Never ever had problems til all my yard/garage dwelling cats died of old age. Now only have a 3 year old in house cat. Buddy catches any that come into the house - catch, release, cat, release ….until we can get the mouse away from him and get rid of it. But mice have lots of little mice…if you see one then likely there are at least 6-9- or more around. Last problem we had we kept score on Buddy in house finds vs DH garage traps….and the finally tally was 3 for Buddy and 9 for DH!

Sorry, but bet you have more.

Don't get mice in our coop, they cannot breach 1/2 # hardware cloth. But we do get them in our garage - it is large and under my entire house first floor. Never ever had problems til all my yard/garage dwelling cats died of old age. Now only have a 3 year old in house cat. Buddy catches any that come into the house - catch, release, cat, release ….until we can get the mouse away from him and get rid of it. But mice have lots of little mice…if you see one then likely there are at least 6-9- or more around. Last problem we had we kept score on Buddy in house finds vs DH garage traps….and the finally tally was 3 for Buddy and 9 for DH!

Sorry, but bet you have more.
I worked at a place that had a real mouse problem. One day I was entering orders into the computer and watched a mouse run UP the computer cord, scamper past me at the keyboard, and disappear down the other side of the desk. They are excellent climbers - they've scurried up the 1/2 inch hardware cloth like it was a ladder built for them, over the top, and dropped down into the run. When it comes to mice, I don't trust anything to keep them out. <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom