pecking issue

ellchr3

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
South Carolina
Hey all. It's been a while since I've posted, but I now have 16 laying hens and 2 roosters. 3 of my hens have been pecked to the point of blood around their tail feathers and many feathers plucked out. I originally noticed one hen and isolated her for some rehab in the garage. Covered the area with vetricyn just letting her relax and hopefully heal up .

Less than a day later I notice spots on two of my easter eggers. I hung out by the coop for about 30 minutes yesterday just to observe and saw a single olive egger pecking multiple bottoms, especially the two who now have a bullseye on them. So, I've isolated her as well and will reintroduce her in a few days. About lunch time I went down to the coop to apply the vetricyn and a "natural pecking deterrent" on them. There was no signs of continued pecking then. I went down about dinner time and now see signs of pecking and they're bleeding again.

I'm looking for suggestions/advice on how to handle this as I don't want it to lead to full out cannibalism, but I'm also limited on available safe space to rehab 3 and "jail" the initial instigator for the time being. I'm not sure they're overcrowded, but I guess it's possible. The information I've found for the amount of space per chicken varies widely, but they have almost 9 sq ft of space each in my run. I do already have plans to expand the run and probably work on adding a second coop (or expanding the current one)

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited:
What about the coop?
Multiple males can create chaos too.
The coop is 4x8x~5 (width, length, height). The second rooster I'm honestly not sure if he's all there if you know what I mean. He has severe scissor beak and just wanders around most of the time. I finally saw him mount a hen a couple of days ago and he had trouble. lol Somehow, he is thriving and doesn't seem to be bullied at all nor have I seen him bully.

That's very tight space in the coop.
So-so in the run.
How old are these birds?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Would also help to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1705451046985.png

So-so in the run.
How old are these birds?
View attachment 3727506
I was afraid of that on the coop, which is why I already have plans to expand/build another. They're just over 6 months old. Currently feeding a starter still and supplementing oyster shell for the hens. I also provide scratch, different types of fly larvae, grow wheat fodder, provide some vegetable scraps.

I updated my profile, but I'm located in the Upstate of South Carolina. Typically fairly mild winters, but we're in a cold snap right now

Hi all, just popping on this thread to see if anyone has ever tried or used the Pick No More for backs and feathers? I have two girls who are having their feathers pecked this winter and it's getting down to their down layer. I was considering a chicken saddle but don't want to impede their ability to fluff up to combat the cold. We are in CO. I saw this and wasn't sure if it was good to try. I also got some peepers for the main culprit who is a bit of a bully - she just not the friendliest hen.

Curious to hear your thoughts on it?

1705707943905.png

Hi all, just popping on this thread to see if anyone has ever tried or used the Pick No More for backs and feathers?
It does work but needs to be applied fairly regularly to have an effect, like I was doing it twice a day.

It can stain a little so make sure to glove up to apply it, you'll likely need to rub it into the area that's being treated.

So-so in the run.
How old are these birds?
View attachment 3727506
I've been observing much more and trying different things. Still having some pecking issues, primarily on 2 hens. I have a camera in the coop and have noticed zero pecking during the overnight hours that I've watched. However, during the day these two hens get it pretty bad.

I've done the wound/no peck sprays, added more enrichment, and placed pinless peepers on all of them. I already have the original hen I saw getting pecked and one I've seen as the main aggressor for almost 2 weeks. I tried reintroducing the aggressor with no luck. On the third day I set her inside the run inside of a large dog crate. She was reaching through the crate pecking and pulling feathers at any hen that got close enough.

In the meantime, I'm going to get the material to build a couple of other isolation boxes for the two that are getting bullied the most so they can heal.

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom