no, NOT my MAYMAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Ewesheep. If she is eggbound, place her in a container filled with warm water up to her sides. Massage her underside from front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help the egg move along. Then, wear a disposible glove and put olive oil on it and insert it into her vent, checking for debris. This will expand the inside of her vent and the olive oil will lube it to let her more easily lay the egg...if that's what it is. If she's egg impacted, there's not much you can do.
I've had hatchery Red Stars and it seemed they are more prone to being eggbound. I had one die of egg impactation. I wont own them anymore.

It could be both egg yolk peritonitis and and respiratory illness.

I lost my NHR to this but it took over six months to get to the point where I had to do something about it. She started with diarhea, then at the end progressed to fluid retention in her abdomen. As a consequence of the fluid retention she had difficulty breathing and moving around and when she got to the point where she couldn't roost, but had to stay standing because of the pressure on her lungs, I put her down.

During this time she ate fairly well but drank a lot more than usual. She liked her scrambled eggs and other treats as well. As a matter of fact she ate and drank and came running (so to speak) to me up until the morning of her passing over.

Speckled Hen did a lot of draining of fluids and I have heard of others who have hysterectomies done on their chickens to prolong their lives.
I didn't thing that the outcome would be any different than it was.

Mary

This hen hasn't layed an egg in over a year and a half...I would think if it was a reproductive issue, she would have been sick and even dead by now.

She may just be getting on in years and her heart isn't working the way it used to/should. I like the aspirin idea and making her as comfy as possible. The aspirin will also help with circulation. Keep an eye out for other symptoms and treat as they appear. Right now, it just sounds like age is catching up to her.

tonight when i got home i really was expecting the worst. i noticed she had some poop on her feathers. i brought her into the house to clean her up. With the debeaking, she does have some issues trying to keep herself clean. I washed off her behind and noticed that she did have a lot of new feathers yet unsheathed ( she's molting i guess! didnt know it). Her comb is still bent over, but her eyes are brighter and she is perky. I washed be bumm and took a look, pushed it around, mushed it, etc. It doesnt seem to be any bigger or swollen than normal. She is heavy down there, but has always been that way. I didnt see any evidence of mites or bugs on her skin. I dried her off and let her back out. She only went blue in the tip of her comb in one spot today. She did not sit around and have hard labored breathing either. She did peck around at the grass and at a worm, but still not normal for her. ?????? She is still jumping on the perch, still drinking, eating, etc. here is a picture of her tonight. Her comb is still folding over. Could she be dehydrated from the diarreah? She seems to be drinking, but not sure if its enough. Her poo was really green, water, and white.

This is what i saw in my other girl that i lost last week. The green diah. lots of clear water, and the white. I put them all on Baytril tonight.

Here her comb is folded over when it is normally standing straight up. I did notice tonight it is really really bright red. You can see just a tip of blue on the last piece of comb. Not even really that blue. could be mistaken for dirt if i didnt try and pick it off. yes, that is 'Bird next to his luv buttons MayMay.

She looks alert and healthy! You are a super attentive chicken momma!
smile.png

just crossing my fingers. I would say it is either what I lost my other hen to that I do not know what it was, or that it is just like what leadwolf1 said. She is getting older and up there in years.

I like the idea of baby asperin helping with the circulation. I may look into that one. I just hate to put them on anything if I dont have too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom