No one is laying! What am I doing wrong!

Hlazysfarms

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2021
I have 38 bym hens hatched may 2021 and 4 roosters, I live in Canada where we have snowy cold winters. Our temperatures have been stable and above freezing, I have artificial light in their coop on a timer for 15 hours, they have full access to fresh water and layer ration, scratch, oyster shell, sunflower seeds, flock block and house scraps. My coop is ventilated well and has windows for natural light as well, and each chicken has plenty of room, roosts and layer boxes. They went through their molt in September/October 2021. But I am only getting 3-5 eggs a day out of my 38 hens! I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m doing wrong or why I’m getting so few eggs with so many girls!

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!!

I used to get about 20-25 a day and ya they’re all from the same hatch, roosters included. I’ve never added anyone new or made any big changes. Everyone get along well.

I have 38 bym hens hatched may 2021 and 4 roosters, I live in Canada where we have snowy cold winters. Our temperatures have been stable and above freezing, I have artificial light in their coop on a timer for 15 hours, they have full access to fresh water and layer ration, scratch, oyster shell, sunflower seeds, flock block and house scraps. My coop is ventilated well and has windows for natural light as well, and each chicken has plenty of room, roosts and layer boxes. They went through their molt in September/October 2021. But I am only getting 3-5 eggs a day out of my 38 hens! I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m doing wrong or why I’m getting so few eggs with so many girls!

If they all hatched in May, the molt they had in Sept was the last juvenile molt.
Some may not have come into lay so late in the year with the fading light.

I used to get about 20-25 a day and ya they’re all from the same hatch, roosters included. I’ve never added anyone new or made any big changes. Everyone get along well.
When did you get this many eggs?
Are these 38 pullets the only layers you have?
It could be that the cockerels are stressing the pullets.

How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Do you free range?

Not sure you're doing anything 'wrong', just may need to adjust your expectations.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated
I have 38 bym hens hatched may 2021 and 4 roosters, I live in Canada where we have snowy cold winters. Our temperatures have been stable and above freezing, I have artificial light in their coop on a timer for 15 hours, they have full access to fresh water and layer ration, scratch, oyster shell, sunflower seeds, flock block and house scraps. My coop is ventilated well and has windows for natural light as well, and each chicken has plenty of room, roosts and layer boxes. They went through their molt in September/October 2021. But I am only getting 3-5 eggs a day out of my 38 hens! I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m doing wrong or why I’m getting so few eggs with so many girls!y

I just wrote a similar complaint about my Black Copper Marans on a BCM FaceBook page. I wrote it because in my experience, when I start complaining to others, it embarrasses the heck out of my girls, and they inevitably start laying within a couple of days. And it worked. I swear I hadn't gotten more than 3 eggs in a 3 month period from 6 fat hens until I wrote my note (a lot like yours). It's been a week or so and now I'm up to 2 or 3 a day. So start checking your nesting boxes in another day or two. You should find your ladies are laying! :wee:lau

I just wrote a similar complaint about my Black Copper Marans on a BCM FaceBook page. I wrote it because in my experience, when I start complaining to others, it embarrasses the heck out of my girls, and they inevitably start laying within a couple of days. And it worked. I swear I hadn't gotten more than 3 eggs in a 3 month period from 6 fat hens until I wrote my note (a lot like yours). It's been a week or so and now I'm up to 2 or 3 a day. So start checking your nesting boxes in another day or two. You should find your ladies are laying! :wee:lau
Me too! I had a similar thread earlier this week, and lo and behold we had our first egg a couple days ago the day after my post! No more yet(just 3 girls) but now that I know it's starting up I will keep a closer eye on them to make sure they're not hiding eggs! :)

Yay for longer days and more eggs!

Back
Top Bottom