No pecking order?

acy0029

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Tucson
I have had my chicks for just over a week now. I have 27 asst. breeds and I'll watch them for a half hour straight and I don't see any dominate chicks yet. How old do they get before they figure the pecking order? I always thought it happened within a couple of days?

When we brought ours home we got an EE and a RIR from the same brooder. We also picked up a SLW that is a week older. By the time we drove the 30 minutes back to the house that little EE was pushing around the SLW that is twice her size. LOL. We've since added another EE.

So, in our case, it was pretty obvious. I dropped a few worms in the brooder last night. That evil little EE stole most of them from everyone else.

Watching them play keep-away was a lot of fun. LOL Maybe you can get a worm or two and see who takes them all.

I have to add, after a few days, that SLW is starting to wonder why she is letting someone smaller than her bully her.
lol.png

I have three SLW's and they are the most curious they run up to my hand and "inspect" it every time I try to do something in the brooder they are always in the way.
lol.png

I have 6 7 week olds and I was wondering the same thing as you for the longest time. Until they were outside a few days ago and they started running into eachother. I think they were establishing the peck order!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine stands a little ways away and just cocks her head and stares as if to ask, "What do you think you're doing next to MY brooder?"
I am hoping she ain't a he.

Ok so they are probably just content the way they are right now. I'm sure it will come eventually. I have three possibly four roo's in the bunch and they are the biggest "chickens"
lau.gif
(yup I went there) of the bunch.
lol.png

Sometimes it's a lot more peaceful than others. My two week olds are doing well with this, and in my older flock, a gentle peck is usually all I see -- never anything violent. About the worst that happens is one chases another, and they have a short run without contact but with appropriate screeches -- for show, I think. If I watch my young bunch closely, there will be a small peck or bump now and then.

I have one who tends to be the bully, will harass a broody on her nest etc. -- so I "peck" her, with my foot or a stick -- of course I don't hurt her, I barely have to touch her to get the message across, and sometimes just a swipe in her general direction is enough. The other day I was several feet away and threw a little piece of an apple core at her, which landed rather softly on her back; I wasn't sure she would even be able to feel it. She ran screeching from the coop and didn't bother the broody again, that day.

The few I've had who were really rough on others aren't here any more.

Back
Top Bottom