No Pip day 21?

Mine did an external pip over 24hrs ago and hasn’t made progress it only externally pip not internal I believe due to it being malpositioned it’s pip is on the wrong end…… should I do anything here is a pic ( these chicks were shipped and very badly saddled. It is cheeping….
Also if anything happens resulting in a premature chick, where the yolk is unabsorbed and the chick is out of the egg, use a cup lined with clean dry paper towels, put the chick inside. Then put the cup into the incubator, checking often until the chick has absorbed the yolk.

It's important when assisting a hatch, if you do so, to avoid removing a premature baby from the shell. A bit of a clue that the yolk isnt absorbed, is a yawning or chewing motion from the baby's beak. That can indicate that they arent ready yet.

Also if anything happens resulting in a premature chick, where the yolk is unabsorbed and the chick is out of the egg, use a cup lined with clean dry paper towels, put the chick inside. Then put the cup into the incubator, checking often until the chick has absorbed the yolk.

It's important when assisting a hatch, if you do so, to avoid removing a premature baby from the shell. A bit of a clue that the yolk isnt absorbed, is a yawning or chewing motion from the baby's beak. That can indicate that they arent ready yet.
I’m not sure what a yawn or chewing looks like. I can tell it’s body it pushed up against the membrane…What I can see is almost like a heart beat through the clear looking membrane and than it keeps slightly poking the hole it has made. It’s been 29 or so hours now same small poking going on occasional peep. No rolling it never has…

I’m afraid it’s not going to be able to zip properly or not be able to come out…. Because of its position n crazy aircell I’m all for leaving it alone but wondering opinions on for how long …. I feel like another 6 hrs and than imma be concerned if it doesn’t start zipping or making progress

it should be able to hatch itself despite malposition. They take longer when they miss the air cell like this, this external pip is the equivalent of the internal pip. So it will be a slower hatch than normal. Potentially up to another 24 hours. As long as the chick can breathe okay, there is no need to panic here at all.

Now I will offer advice, but you do not need to follow this. You should be safe to wait, and see if the chick can do it all himself. But here is some info in assisting anyway:
After 24 hours since malpositioned external pip, if theres no progress, if you are worried, you can chip away a tiny bit of shell to just slightly widen the pip. Then dampen any exposed membrane with coconut oil, stop any bleeding with paper towels.
If you see veins or yolk, stop. All you're doing is ensuring the chick can breathe well, and checking for veins. That is all. Not hatching them, not yet.

Then after another 24 hours you can re-assess the situation and begin to assist the hatch.
Most are able to hatch themselves without help, before this point.
Here is the Assisted hatching article

Good luck for your chick!
Ok that sounds good I’ll wait I dabbed a bit of coconut oil on it bc I want to make sure it doesn’t get too dry. I can see it breathing or a heart beat ….. My humidity is set at 73 currently in a nurture right 360. tomorrow I will be helping it because that would be timing wise enough time for it to have absorbed it’s yolk n veins correct ?

I got a pip on the one that had the internal pip this morning so I am so happy right now. I’m going to wait and see when this one hatches and than if that one I am so concerned about doesn’t hatch by then I am going to HAVE to end up helping it. Today is day 22 now.

Tiny bit of progress ….. is it normal for me to see it breathing from the membrane ? I have a feeling it’s a foot not a beak….. it’s now been 36 hrs since external pip ……

Attachments

• F6DB6EA2-B317-44DD-A18B-7F74CBAD8CEA.jpeg
    F6DB6EA2-B317-44DD-A18B-7F74CBAD8CEA.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 7
anymore progress
anymore progress since then?
it just hatched !!! But there is blood ! I just came on here wondering what to do….. I have not touched or opened the incubator since last time I messaged on here just keeping a watch very closely here is a picture ! Seems to be moving good but blood from the cord it seemed to have ripped off when it finally came out. I am so glad I held tight n didn’t act at all. The chick for sure needed the time to come out and absorb its yolk n veins before hatching! Is there anything I can do now that it’s bleeding tho? I watched for a few mins and it seems it has slowed on its own humidity is at 74% I’m sure the water n heat isn’t helping the bleeding ….

Attachments

• 35C42B3B-1609-4630-8C82-D003194C49D7.jpeg
    35C42B3B-1609-4630-8C82-D003194C49D7.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 23729E45-DD4F-42CC-8B68-88EE161FA5A7.jpeg
    23729E45-DD4F-42CC-8B68-88EE161FA5A7.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 6
anymore progress since then?
I dono what to do to help I knew something was wrong ……it came out on its own …… should I try to dry it off under broader ? I don’t think the humidity is helping it …. I need advice

Attachments

• D88D25E2-B9FA-4D35-84C9-F4A9CAD9DEA8.jpeg
    D88D25E2-B9FA-4D35-84C9-F4A9CAD9DEA8.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom