No pipping day 29

Pics

hayleybubs

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2022
looking for advice, I have read many other threads but still none the wiser! I set a mixed batch of Khaki Campbells eggs on the 11th Feb. Unless my math is incorrect I’m on day 28/29. I have candles throughout and progress has been spot on. Day 25/26 I candles again, visible movement within egg and then put in lockdown, set temp to 37degrees, slightly opened vents and raised humidity to 75….. well no external pipping by yesterday so I took the liberty of opening the incubator to candle each one, one unfortunately didn’t appear to be moving, however the other 4 you could see lots of movement just above the dark upper line below air sac like pushing on the membrane…. No beaks visible in the air sacs though. Today a further 18 hrs has passed and still nothing. The eggs do not move in the incubator no wiggling or rolling etc.
my question is how safe is it to keep opening to candle, I’m worried that if they need help I will miss the opportunity but in the same way I’m worried if I interfere I’ll do more harm than good. Currently no external pips, would people advise opening and candling each egg again to ensure they’re still alive!?

looking for advice, I have read many other threads but still none the wiser! I set a mixed batch of Khaki Campbells eggs on the 11th Feb. Unless my math is incorrect I’m on day 28/29. I have candles throughout and progress has been spot on. Day 25/26 I candles again, visible movement within egg and then put in lockdown, set temp to 37degrees, slightly opened vents and raised humidity to 75….. well no external pipping by yesterday so I took the liberty of opening the incubator to candle each one, one unfortunately didn’t appear to be moving, however the other 4 you could see lots of movement just above the dark upper line below air sac like pushing on the membrane…. No beaks visible in the air sacs though. Today a further 18 hrs has passed and still nothing. The eggs do not move in the incubator no wiggling or rolling etc.
my question is how safe is it to keep opening to candle, I’m worried that if they need help I will miss the opportunity but in the same way I’m worried if I interfere I’ll do more harm than good. Currently no external pips, would people advise opening and candling each egg again to ensure they’re still alive!?
You are correct on your days. It is day 29. Your temperature is good. Your humidity could go up a touch more even to 80%.

As far as opening the incubator I do it all the time to check. I'll take out one egg, candle it, and then put it right back quickly. If you can't see any movement or signs it could be just that the egg is full of duckling so you can't see anything. Do not give up on the eggs quite yet. You just don't want to leave a bad egg in there that could explode and contaminate the whole hatch but I think it's way too early for this to happen to you.

I would suggest keep doing what you're doing

You are correct on your days. It is day 29. Your temperature is good. Your humidity could go up a touch more even to 80%.

As far as opening the incubator I do it all the time to check. I'll take out one egg, candle it, and then put it right back quickly. If you can't see any movement or signs it could be just that the egg is full of duckling so you can't see anything. Do not give up on the eggs quite yet. You just don't want to leave a bad egg in there that could explode and contaminate the whole hatch but I think it's way too early for this to happen to you.

Thank you for this, so whilst there’s no external pipping it’s relatively safe to open the incubator quickly and candle good to know x

Sorry to ask another question but I just candled and there’s a slight yellow mark only visible when candling and filming not visible when just looking, is this the start of a pip or is ducky pipping in wrong place and struggling!? I can’t work out how to post video so uploading a still to try and show you!

Attachments

• F68E5A3B-B8E0-463C-A456-C1CEA06BB7F7.png
    F68E5A3B-B8E0-463C-A456-C1CEA06BB7F7.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
that does look like it might be the start of a pip! Be careful when you take the eggs out. Sometimes we are so worried about taking it out that we try to get it back in too quickly and you bump it or worse. Take your time and you don't have to do it often.

If you notice obvious bruising on the eggs it could mean that the duckling has pipped on the wrong end (not the air cell) and has ruptured some veins. In that case, we need to move on to plan B but let's not jump into something we may not need to worry about that just yet.

that does look like it might be the start of a pip! Be careful when you take the eggs out. Sometimes we are so worried about taking it out that we try to get it back in too quickly and you bump it or worse. Take your time and you don't have to do it often.

If you notice obvious bruising on the eggs it could mean that the duckling has pipped on the wrong end (not the air cell) and has ruptured some veins. In that case, we need to move on to plan B but let's not jump into something we may not need to worry about that just yet.
I’m leaving them now, I guess. If no external pop within 18 hrs or so I will try and assist with a safety hole. This yellowing seems to be on the shell at the edge of sac where it meets membrane sp hopefully it’s ok! It’s very active! Can we share videos on here for help I’m new to the forum and have no clue

Hello sorry to jump back in , but one of the eggs I candles yesterday was fully internally pipped some yellow bruising on the shell this morning so I took her/him out and candled again, still moving but no chirping and nowhere here the movement I gently drilled a hole in top. Straight away I could hear chirping. The hole is only teeny as the egg was near on impossible to penetrate! It wasn’t soft like the videos I watched. Does this mean humidity is too low? Can I resolve it now!? All eggs moving but no sign of any pips yet and only small movements around membrane line !? Should I be assisting them all!?

Back
Top Bottom