No pipping day 29

Hello sorry to jump back in , but one of the eggs I candles yesterday was fully internally pipped some yellow bruising on the shell this morning so I took her/him out and candled again, still moving but no chirping and nowhere here the movement I gently drilled a hole in top. Straight away I could hear chirping. The hole is only teeny as the egg was near on impossible to penetrate! It wasn’t soft like the videos I watched. Does this mean humidity is too low? Can I resolve it now!? All eggs moving but no sign of any pips yet and only small movements around membrane line !? Should I be assisting them all!?
if you've made a hole in the air cell end and can hear chirping I think you are ok. If you can do it carefully you could start picking a bit at the hole that you've made to make it bigger. If you see any veins or blood STOP! Here is a good guide to assisted hatching so read it carefully before you delve into this. You said the shells are very hard so you just may have to help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If your humidity is about 80% you should be good. Do you have a humidity gauge inside the incubator or are you depending on what the incubator says it is? I would not trust what the machine says. I always put one right inside the incubator. If they are all moving I would be pleased. I'm sure you are not in the USA since you are using Celcius for temperature but if you have a Walmart you can pick one up there that has both the temperature and humidity. They are a little over $10 and you can set it to celcius.
E35D2C11-6060-4FDA-94DE-FEB94A3D4D47.jpeg

I’m leaving them now, I guess. If no external pop within 18 hrs or so I will try and assist with a safety hole. This yellowing seems to be on the shell at the edge of sac where it meets membrane sp hopefully it’s ok! It’s very active! Can we share videos on here for help I’m new to the forum and have no clue
Hello sorry to jump back in , but one of the eggs I candles yesterday was fully internally pipped some yellow bruising on the shell this morning so I took her/him out and candled again, still moving but no chirping and nowhere here the movement I gently drilled a hole in top. Straight away I could hear chirping. The hole is only teeny as the egg was near on impossible to penetrate! It wasn’t soft like the videos I watched. Does this mean humidity is too low? Can I resolve it now!? All eggs moving but no sign of any pips yet and only small movements around membrane line !? Should I be assisting them all!?
I had to assist a few of mine so I kept my incubator in the bathroom and would turn on the shower on hot for a few mins before I would open the incubator this made the room humid but not so humid that it affected the inside of the incubator just enough that it kept things good while working with the eggs. If you are able to do this it helps
Also have a kit ready in case. Quips , Vaseline , coconut oil
This will be a long process as it can take 24 hours or longer for baby to absorb his yolk.
Please be patient I learned the hard way with my very first one and lost her
I wouldn’t help the others yet if they have not internal pipped but would continue to watch for it knowing the shells are hard. Watch for bruising
Once internal pipped if no external in 24 hours then make a small hole and wait
Once you open that hole more you will need to wet that membrane so it doesn’t dry out. The coconut oil helps to really see what the veins are doing but I found the Vaseline kept it moist much longer being able to leave it alone for longer periods
Good luck and keep us posted

if you've made a hole in the air cell end and can hear chirping I think you are ok. If you can do it carefully you could start picking a bit at the hole that you've made to make it bigger. If you see any veins or blood STOP! Here is a good guide to assisted hatching so read it carefully before you delve into this. You said the shells are very hard so you just may have to help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If your humidity is about 80% you should be good. Do you have a humidity gauge inside the incubator or are you depending on what the incubator says it is? I would not trust what the machine says. I always put one right inside the incubator. If they are all moving I would be pleased. I'm sure you are not in the USA since you are using Celcius for temperature but if you have a Walmart you can pick one up there that has both the temperature and humidity. They are a little over $10 and you can set it to celcius.
View attachment 3023368
So I followed your advice, duckling had become very quite and not moving much peeled away some shell and the inner membrane was kinda papery looking, I have dampened it down with coconut oil and it went transparent but there’s still some blood vessels visible on inner membrane, looking in the shell the rest of the membrane looks kind papery, I think it is in wrong position. What should I do!? I’ve returned baby to incubator but I’m scared she’s going to be totally shrink wrapped!?

Attachments

• EDDC7719-90DC-4479-8B2E-4A997FA0963A.jpeg
    EDDC7719-90DC-4479-8B2E-4A997FA0963A.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 17
So I followed your advice, duckling had become very quite and not moving much peeled away some shell and the inner membrane was kinda papery looking, I have dampened it down with coconut oil and it went transparent but there’s still some blood vessels visible on inner membrane, looking in the shell the rest of the membrane looks kind papery, I think it is in wrong position. What should I do!? I’ve returned baby to incubator but I’m scared she’s going to be totally shrink wrapped!?
To add her beak is opening and closing fast like a shake rather than a yawn she’s chirping occasionally now and visible membrane is moist

Leave her alone. If she's opening and closing her bill she's not ready yet.
Yes have done I just wanted to ensure she’s in correct position, she was pretty much filling the air sac and had had about 36 hrs between internal pip and my intervention. Still now only her beak is out the internal membrane. She’s cheeping a lot it’s so cute 🥰 I will keep the membrane moist if required but otherwise stay well away x

Yes have done I just wanted to ensure she’s in correct position, she was pretty much filling the air sac and had had about 36 hrs between internal pip and my intervention. Still now only her beak is out the internal membrane. She’s cheeping a lot it’s so cute 🥰 I will keep the membrane moist if required but otherwise stay well away x
If you can see her opening and closing her bill she's in the right position and shels ok. A bad position is when you can't see her bill which means she would have trouble breathing since her head isn't near the air cell and in that case you'd need to read that first link I sent you on assisted hatch.

That yawning motion is her absorbing the yolk. Leave her be. You can use coconut oil as well as vaseline. Vaseline will last longer (like for nighttime when you go to bed) if she's still not out.

She looks good
The membrane doesn’t look shrink wrapped
I would give her plenty of time to absorb the yolk.
You are doing great !

Back
Top Bottom