NO POOP?!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Please help me know what is wrong with one of my roosters.

He has not passed any poops in nearly 24 hours!

I noticed him sleeping a lot yesterday and he did not look 'quite' right. He has no obvious disease or problems, he just seemed sleepy and not active. He is puffed up a little, but only slightly.

I put him in a dog crate on his own with a heat lamp, food, and water with vitamins and some honey in the water for energy.

He is eating, but nothing is coming out the other end!

His bottom is clean.

Do you think he could be constipated? If so how can I fix that?

Thank you.

Is he eating like he used to or is there reduced intake? Is he drinking enough? Have you checked him for lice/mites? Does his crop stay full? In any case I would check the vent area and give him a good long warm bath. While washing him feel around the vent to see if he has a blockage. If so, a little pressure on 2 sides in a circular motion slowly will help him pass it. Not the most comfortable for either of you. I had it happen once and had to help because of a change in feed. You also want to check his crop to see if there is a blockage or sour crop going on there. It should be full at night and empty by morning. If it is not emptying, check the threads on here for treatment of sour crop and make sure he has free access to grit. I can't remember how they treat sour crop but I know they have a lot of info for it on here.

Please help me know what is wrong with one of my roosters.

He has not passed any poops in nearly 24 hours!  

I noticed him sleeping a lot yesterday and he did not look 'quite' right.  He has no obvious disease or problems, he just seemed sleepy and not active. He is puffed up a little, but only slightly.  

I put him in a dog crate on his own with a heat lamp, food, and water with vitamins and some honey in the water for energy.  

He is eating, but nothing is coming out the other end!  

His bottom is clean.

Do you think he could be constipated?  If so how can I fix that?  

Thank you.  

Since you suspect your roo is constipated, here's a link to Solutions used in Poultry. Scroll down to "Laxative Solutions."
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom