No progress or bad flashlight?

hi. im new to this site, have no idea how to add a new post. any advice?
im hoping that you could help me re: candling.
my bantam eggs are 21days, so due to hatch, i never candeled them, is it possible to candle them now at 21days?
sorry to ad this to this post =/ cheers.

I wouldn't candle now! Don't open the bator...... Just be patient. You don't necessarily have to candle it's jut I am super impatient!
roll.png

And a big
welcome-byc.gif

Yes, don't open the incubator--you'll lose too much humidity and heat, and that would be dangerous at this point. The eggs need to lie still. At this late date, candling wouldn't show anything anyway: the chick is taking up nearly all the space within the shell, so it's just going to be a big opaque mass. The best days for candling that I've found are days 6-10, when there's a nice sunburst of blood vessels surrounding a small embryo. After day 10, it starts getting a lot harder to see anything, especially if the shells are brown or green.

Welcome aboard!
smile.png

Last edited:
I used a maglite with an led bulb the first couple days for candeling. But like someone else said, i had to change the batteries like every other day. It was bad. Now i use a 100 watt bulb. i covered the bulb with a tissue box and cut a hole about the size of a quarter in the top of it to candle the egg. It works great. Even for brown eggs.

I had a heck of a time candling porous brown eggs. Tried several sized small led flashlights if pitch black to no avail. By day 14 it dawned on me that I indeed owned a halide construction light. Needless to say with one of those puppies under a beer case box with hole cut out I could see the veining and developing we were looking for to share with the kids how the eggs develop. Once you get near and on day 18 the led will work as well as anything even with very dark or porous eggs as you'll only see the air sac clearly and all else a developed chick (darkness).

Back
Top Bottom