1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No progress or bad flashlight?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Batty about Banties, May 16, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Ugh I was excited until I watched the candling videos and saw obvious movement.....now I am kinda bummed but I am still hopeful that I am just not candling right or with a good enough flashlight. Nothing smells in the bator so I guess I will just wait and see. [​IMG]

2. itsjessme

itsjessme Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    How are you candling? I used a big mag light! And you want to find a really dark place to do it in... and keeping i mind too that darker eggs may be harder to see.

3. itsjessme

itsjessme Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    Im sure all is well....how far along are they? Some ofour eggs where difficult to see movment in at first.

4. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

How far along are your eggs? And what color are the shells? With white-shelled eggs, we had great visibility from day 4 through day 10, but the green-shelled eggs are really hard to see. And I've got a barred Rock hen laying shells so thick I can't see anything at all no matter when I candle!

For candling, I like to use a small Mag-Lite flashlight with an LED bulb. The biggest drawback is those things suck down batteries like you wouldn't believe, so in order to see anything much you have to give it new batteries. And I have to candle in a completely dark room. (I was using the old furnace closet, but there's a spider the size of a Buick living in there now . . . [​IMG] I'd squish him, but it occurred to me he must be eating something--and what if he's less nasty than his dinner?!)

5. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    My eggs are brown and green. I'm on day 12.....

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Dont worry, i couldn't see anything when i candled mine and i thought they weren't fertile and 2 where.

7. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Ok well I guess I'll just wait and see...8 days.....[​IMG]

8. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, hang in there! Sometimes the shells are just too dense and dark to see through. I have had eggs hatch that I was almost sure were not doing anything.

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    we've got some royal palm turkey eggs going, yesterday was day 8, and i couldn't see anything - brand new batteries in d-cell mag light.

i realize they are thicker shells, so didn't expect to see everything, just a bit of something. there was flickering, but not sure if that was the insides of the eggs moving from being moved, or if there is life in those things [​IMG]

we've got some stuff laying around, so i'm going to build a candling box (ceramic light fixture, electric wire, switches, wood, etc).

10. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Pics of your candling box!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by