No Roos Allowed but Feel Terrible

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
We have always had an "all girls" flock and have a roo we must dispatch. The last time this happened the guy was very aggressive and even tho it wasn't easy, it was doable. And this new issue is doable, but, man, this roo so sweet. He crows (not OK) and is, in general, a Good Guy. But it's an All Girls club and he must go (I have a woman who can't wait to eat him!) and I knew this coming.

My post is only about the sadness of losing a "good" bird. If the circumstances were different, someone would be thrilled to have a Cuckoo Maran roo w/ good manners.
hmm.png

Just wondering if you've ever had to cull knowing that the bird was, in another chicken universe, a keeper? I hugged him and gave him extra treats and chatted w/ him, I'm sure many of you have been there (or am I totally loopy?!) No suggestions needed for finding a new home/keeping him, etc., it's a rational culling for my flock and I expected it (even w/ sexing ya get males), I'm only pining the loss of a good animal. Too corny?

Yeah, pretty corny. But he's so polite. Bye bye Jules. (Originally named Julia after Julia Child b/c s/he seemed way too tall for the norm...I love to cook so was hoping against hope s/he was a just a fast grower and not a boy!)

I know I won't be yielding the knife this time, but it's still difficult, oddly.

I can relate. i had a raccoon reach through the cage and grab a leg of one of my pullets. The leg was so badly damaged I had to kill her. she was pretty and so scared. (The pullets are a shy crowd this time around) I waited for two days just getting up the nerve. Finally I decided that waiting was more cruel then putting her out of her misery. So, she died day before yesterday. It was just sad.

I'm with Bgelber, there are so many people out there who have to cull mean roosters, the nice ones are definitely keepers. I would try to rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom