No rooster makes for hen behavior changes!

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
Well, I had to dispose of my beautiful boy, Pride. True to typical production bird males, he became less pleasant. :( He began to stalk me after the day he jumped at my hand from behind. Then started rushing at me and jumping at me until it was no longer safe to go out in the yard without feeling I needed my walking stick with me. I wasn't waiting for worse behavior.

Anyhow...the girls seemed lost the next morning when I opened the coop. They all wandered around the run (all but my loner girl) not venturing out to range. Eventually they did, but it took a bit. Even then they stayed close by.

Two of them did not lay that first day either.

They came back to the run repeatedly as if to reassemble and remind themselves they were safe. They no longer stay out in the edge of the woods for the majority of the day and eat more at the feeder than they did when ranging all day.

Pecking order and behavior has intensified being that the boss is no longer overseeing. My top hen is very much asserting her role. Those next below her are a bit more assertive as well. Several are very mouthy about nesting space right now as well but less chatty when they have actually layed.

They do not travel/range in a group so much now as go off in their own directions. But this being day 3 of no man candy around, they are venturing off again to their favored ranging spots.

Interesting how a roo changes and affects the dynamic of a flock.

I know many people have experienced this, I just thought it would be worthwhile to share it here, or perhaps again LOL.

In the spring I will be looking into chicks/eggs from breeders as I do intend to hatch and raise my own flock additions eventually and would like a rooster from proper breeding and heritage. (Yes I am researching before making choices this time lol).

RIP Pride...you started out so well, by far the best of my 3 raised from chicks last spring. But now I know...

Removing any bird, especially the sole male, from the flock will cause some 'disorder' for a time....they'll adjust. One of the females may take over 'managing' the flock.

Removing any bird, especially the sole male, from the flock will cause some 'disorder' for a time....they'll adjust. One of the females may take over 'managing' the flock.
Yup I think my head hen, Freckles, a brahma, has stepped into those shoes in part. Time will tell. Day 5 here and they seem to be "regrouping"

Back
Top Bottom