path.otto

Songster
6 Years
5 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Mason City, IA
IMG_20181102_130908.jpg
IMG_20181101_102351.jpg

What am I dealing with here? It appears to be a shell less egg (in both photos there appears to be a rolled up membrane). I'm not getting many eggs because everyone is molting. One of my chickens has been laying over large, very thin shelled eggs on occasion. The whites are very watery and there are blood spots in the eggs. This is what I have been finding for the last few mornings on the poop board. No one appears ill, but because of the molt none look great either. I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

are you sure that it is an egg? And not a poop?
I would deworm the flock if there is blood on the eggs. Hope your girls are ok!

Thanks, Abriana. At this point I have no idea what it is. All of the girls appear fine (including the one who is dropping whatever that is). Everyone else has normal poop. If it weren't for the odd eggs I had been getting it wouldn't occur to me that this is an egg, but there is the bit of membrane in there.

Looks more like a 'juicy poop' to me.
Could be the remains of a soft or thin shelled egg,
but there's usually more pecking signs with that.
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

So, aart, do I do anything? I don't see any obvious worms. This is happening every day now with one of the chickens. Thanks.

Most worms are invisible to the human eye, and loose poops can be caused by things other than worms. If you suspect worms I suggest you get get a fecal done before attempting any treatment.

Do you know which bird?
If so, I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Thanks, aart, I'm wrestling with my own health issues and I missed this. I have just the crate you are talking about and I think I know the hen that's having the issues. Although she seems awfully perky (as do they all). This overnight frigid weather has caught many of us short here in Iowa. We don't usually see temps this low until late Dec./Jan.

Thanks, aart, I'm wrestling with my own health issues and I missed this. I have just the crate you are talking about and I think I know the hen that's having the issues. Although she seems awfully perky (as do they all). This overnight frigid weather has caught many of us short here in Iowa. We don't usually see temps this low until late Dec./Jan.
Hope you're feeling better...winter arrived here pretty abruptly too, not fun.
Are you still seeing the 'wet spots' under the roost?
Try crating to see what you can see.

Back
Top Bottom