no shell eggs????

hubbyho

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Hi all. Thanks for this terrific forum!!!
I went out to the coop today and found an egg with apparently no shell, just a soft, translucent eggs shaped membrane. When I cut it open I first did not think there was any yolk however upon further inspection I believe what should have been the yolk was also clear and of different (firmer) consistancy then the whites. My hens are all about 6-7 months old. At least two are laying consistantly that I know of. The other two I am unsure if they have started.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don

First off
welcome-byc.gif

A shelless egg happens occasionally, espcially with new layers. Nothing to worry about.

Imp

Agreed - you get them now and again even when your layers are all well established. Make sure they always have oystershell available and let them get on with it!!

That's good to know - i had a really weird egg today too. The "shell" was paper thin and rubbery feeling, but it was perfectly formed inside. I dont know how it made it out without popping open. I thought maybe it came from one of my girls that i have yet to receive any egg from. But you're saying it could have been from one of the girls that have been laying for a few weeks now?

Yeah, I get them even when I have no new girls. Just one of those weird things that happen now and again. I'm sure there is a proper scientific explanation but suffice to say - don't worry!!

Back
Top Bottom