no shell on egg

kd_colorado

Songster
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
My pullets are only 4.5 moths old. I have 5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Cinnamon Queens nd 6 New Hampshire Barreds. They are hea"thy and playful. The Reds and Cinnamon Queens started laying eggs 3 weeks ago. When my husband closed up the coop tonight he found an egg with no shell. Help! Does anyone know why this happens?

What if the chickens are say 3-4years old and there is no shell? One of mine is laying what looks to be like yolks intermittently.

Yeah they free feed on oyster shell. I got the two older chickens a couple of weeks ago and the lady that gave them to me wasn't sure of their age but thought about 3-4 years old. They had been laying one egg a day between the two but then i found what looked to be an egg yolk several times. They are eating the left over poultry food the previous owner gave me and i started feeding them oyster shell after i got them after reading info on this site but I hadn't noticed any yolk looking eggs until the last week or so. They are in a chicken tractor that i move around my yard so they have access to grass and bugs and i have given them dried meal worms as a treat on occasion. I am new to keeping chickens and ducks so I appreciate this site and everyone's help.

Quote:
It happens with mature layers as well (no shell, soft shell, jello eggs), just not quite as often as with new layers. And older layers will sometimes simply develop problems with their egg making organs, from what I've read. But it doesn't sound like this is your case, since it's infrequent.

Back
Top Bottom