1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No shell when my chicken laid...why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Miss Kitty, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Please help with some useful info on what to do when one of my year old Cochin hens is laying an egg that is a membrane covering the yolk? No shell. What should I do to help her. The other two hens are laying fine no problem. They all three are getting scratch mixed with wild bird seed. The other two have great looking eggs. Why is that one not laying right? Any suggestions. I have tried to mix egg shells into the dry food but they don't like them.
    Help please thanks so much!!
    Miss Kitty

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That happens occasionally. If you don't already have free choice oyster shell out, I would get some. Hens need lots of calcium to produce shells.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Shell-less eggs are quite common for pullets when they first start laying. You should however makes sure that they have a source of calcium like oyster shell. I keep it readily available in a separate feeder that they can free feed from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by