No sign of peeping or hatching

Chickenlady002

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hello! I am hatching some silkie eggs, and today is the 21st day of incubation. The eggs are not moving, and I do not hear any peeping from inside. This is my first time hatching eggs, so I don't know if I should be worried or if I should just wait. I have been candling the eggs so I know all the eggs are developed (the eggs are in lockdown now), so I am going to keep the eggs in for a few more days without opening the incubator before I candle them again. The humidity and temperature have been stable and the humidity is at a good amount based on what I have read, but I am worried that I have seen no signs of hatching. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Don't worry, it can sometimes take an extra day or two to hatch. If they have been developing on schedule then it's all up to them now. It is normally for them to stop moving for a bit. I didn't hear peeping until mine externally pipped on the last hatch.

A few considerations:

1) Did you count the first day they were set as Day 0? You might still be right on track.

2) If there are no external pips yet on the eggs, you can candle one or two to see if there is still movement or internal pips. Just make sure to open/close the incubator quickly to keep humidity in and make sure the egg is placed in the exact same position (with the same side up) so the little chick isn't confused.

3) Depending on which incubator you are using, is it well vented? Some still air incubators (and forced air as well) have little plugs you should remove later in incubation. This is likely not your problem, but worth mentioning.

I actually counted the first day as day one, so I don't know if this changes the schedule. There are no external pips yet, but I'm nervous that candling them will disrupt whatever position they are getting themselves into. My incubator does have ventilation to keep the air moving, and I have added a moist sponge to make sure that the humidity is where it should be. Still no sound though, but I might be a day fast because I counted the first day as day 1. Thank you so much for the information!

I actually counted the first day as day one, so I don't know if this changes the schedule. There are no external pips yet, but I'm nervous that candling them will disrupt whatever position they are getting themselves into. My incubator does have ventilation to keep the air moving, and I have added a moist sponge to make sure that the humidity is where it should be. Still no sound though, but I might be a day fast because I counted the first day as day 1. Thank you so much for the information!

Yes! I find mine often hatch day 22 if the first day is counted as Day 1. They're probably internally pipped now and you should be seeing them starting to externally pip tomorrow if all goes well. :)

Back
Top Bottom